Newbie Question on Owner-Occupied Multi-Family (Taxes)

Newbie Question on Owner-Occupied Multi-Family (Taxes)

Real Estate Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I purchased an owner-occupied multi-family property. It is four units, and I live in one and rent the other three out. My unit is two bedrooms, another one is two bedrooms, and two are one bedroom units. I live in approximately 750 of the 2400 sq ft.

With regard to taxes, I was actually a bit confused recently when I went to my accountant. I was thinking that the income line for the property would be generated from the following:

INCOME
1. Rents received

EXPENSES
1/4 or 1/3 (depending on if you use units or sq ft used by tenants) of the following:

1. Mortgage
2. Taxes
3. Insurance
4. Maintenance and utility expenses (Electric, Water, Landscaping, etc)
5. Misc. repairs and expenses

I was told that #1 (mortgage) is not in the calculation, so therefore it is going to appear as if I have a greater income than I expected. Is this the case? He stated that it was because that is going in as equity - but what if a property goes negative or never has equity build? Also, it seems odd because if that is the case, a large part of my expenses go into something that doesn't necessarily pay back any interest at all.

I know this is basic, but I'd really appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks.

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Bobby S,

    Everything will be prorated to the portion that is related by square footage. You can and should deduct the mortage interest. You also need to remember to make sure depreciation is calculated. I'd recommend finding a tax professional (Preferrably a qualified and reputable Enrolled Agent or CPA) We here on the board can definitely help you find someone.

    Summary: Everything can and will be deductible. Just don't try to deduct mileage to inspect that property ;)

    -Steven the Tax Guy

    Your Guide to IRS laws, rules and regulations.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I have myself/spouse and 2 daughters and granddaughter would love to finance/purchase a 4-6 unit apartment building. We all will live in units separately. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.