Can I deduct wire fee when paying off loan on rental property?

Can I deduct wire fee when paying off loan on rental property?

Rental Property Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I know if I refinance a loan on a rental property, the costs associated with the loan are amortized over the life of the loan.  If I pay a loan off completely, can I deduct the wire fee?  What about other fees charged by the lender, such as recording fee?  I'm guessing yes, I can deduct these, but where?  Just add up and list as "Loan Payoff Fees" under Other Expenses on Sched E?  Seems like a dumb question after typing it out, but would welcome confirmation. 

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · CA · Member since 2012 · 128 posts · 76 votes
    7y

    It is an expense of your property either as an investor or as a business, so yes. 

    (By the way, I cross things out and add categories on schedule E.  Have been doing this for years.  No complaints from IRS.)

  • Rental Property Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks @Account Closed, great suggestion to cross things out to add categories on Schedule E since space for Other is so limited. =)

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Janet Valdivia:

    I know if I refinance a loan on a rental property, the costs associated with the loan are amortized over the life of the loan.  If I pay a loan off completely, can I deduct the wire fee?  What about other fees charged by the lender, such as recording fee?  I'm guessing yes, I can deduct these, but where?  Just add up and list as "Loan Payoff Fees" under Other Expenses on Sched E?  Seems like a dumb question after typing it out, but would welcome confirmation. 

     Yes you can, and you don’t cross out, you just add the detail itemized list of other deductions with the return.  

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Rental Property Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks @Ashish Acharya, yeah I've always included a list of Other deductions to support Line 19, but crossing out an expense I don't use to put in something I do, if there are just a handful of things, seems reasonable per Karen's suggestion.  I think the IRS doesn't care so much so long as the numbers add up, but as an overly-methodical perfectionist, I'll probably still do the list.  =)  Thanks for your reply!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.