• Rental Property Investor
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
Albuquerque taxes, licenses, and permits for long term rentals

Ethan Lozano
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albuquerque, NM
Posted Nov 18 2019, 12:56

I'm a new real estate investor in Albuquerque, and I’m a new member of the BiggerPockets community. So, Hello!

I self manage a couple long-term rental properties that I own, and I want to make sure that I am not accidentally avoiding any taxes, registrations, permits, or licenses that are required for the state, county, city, neighborhood, or any other local governments.

Also, I want to make sure that I am not avoiding anything in the future if/when the laws change. ABQ’s Short Term Rentals (STRs) Task force report outlines how the city might regulate STRs, and this has a potential to affect how the city regulates Long Term Rentals (LTRs).

Below is a summary of the different taxes, registrations, permits, and licenses that I've investigated, and what potentially exempts my rentals. Note: I am neither a lawyer nor a CPA, so this is not legal or financial advice. I just want to share what I’ve learned with the community, and hopefully those more knowledgeable can chime in with more information so everyone can benefit.

Taxes:

Registrations, Licenses, and Permits: