San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 64 posts · 26 votes
Hi All,
I just submitted an offer for a lot. It is going to me a custom home and will be my primary residence, but I may pull out equity once completed and use it for future investments. I'm trying to decide how much I can afford for the construction, but am stuck a bit on how to estimate the property taxes. I understand the county can use either cost basis or nearby comps, but that is going to be a huge range for me and will have a major impact on my annual tax bill.
Cost for land ~$1M
Cost for construction - $1m-$1.5M
Appraised value after construction - $3M
Should I assume 1.25% based on a $2M house, $3M house or something else? This is in San Mateo County in California.
Lender · Florida -Pennsylvannia · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 4 votes
6y
For the first year it would be off cost basis, based on the millage your county charges for taxes. The following year it would be base on assessed value using sales comparable in your neighborhood. Hope this helps