1099INT for private loans

1099INT for private loans

Real Estate Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 3 votes

I have a number of private loans to me. I am paying interest on these loans, but since they are private individuals they wont be submitting 1099INTs to me.

How do others deal with this?

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y

You should be receiving a 1098 for the interest paid. If it is not secured by property you should be issuing a 1099-INT for interest paid to that person or business.

1099-INT is issued to the person who received the interest.

1098 is issued to the person who paid interest.

You should have an amortization schedule that you should be able to use.

My clients call me with questions like this all of time.

-Steven

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hmm. The accounting guy I talked to said yes 1099 them if I want to deduct the interest. Is that not correct? 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Howard Summers:

    Hmm. The accounting guy I talked to said yes 1099 them if I want to deduct the interest. Is that not correct? 

    I was certainly under the impression that a 1099-INT was appropriate...

    I just dug up this thread from last year where Steven Hamilton seems to agree:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/495...

    But again, I'm not a tax professional, so I don't know for certain...  I've always sent them though.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    A lot of disagreement and confusion in this thread...  Let's dive into the details.

    The "$10 or more in interest" threshold triggering a 1099-INT that many mention applies only to banks and bond issuers per IRC Sec 6049 and the related regs.  Agree with @Michael Plaks here.

    IRC Sec 6049(b)(2) specifically exempts issuing a 1099-INT under IRC Sec 6049 if the debtor is an individual:

    Exceptions

    For purposes of subsection (a), the term “interest” does not include—

    6049(b)(2)(A)

    Interest on any obligation issued by a natural person

    However, this doesn't exempt issuing an informational return for all non-bank and non-bond issuers in all situations.  If the activity of an individual or entity rises to the level of a 'trade or business', it falls under purview of IRC Sec 6041 and its related regs as encapsulated in Treas Reg 1.6041-1(a)(1)(i):

    Payments required to be reported

    Except as otherwise provided in §§ 1.6041-3 and 1.6041-4, every person engaged in a trade or business shall make an information return for each calendar year with respect to payments it makes during the calendar year in the course of its trade or business to another person of fixed or determinable income described in paragraph (a)(1)(i)(A) or (B) of this section. For purposes of the regulations under this section, the person described in this paragraph (a)(1)(i) is a payor.

    (A)

    Salaries, wages, commissions, fees, and other forms of compensation for services rendered aggregating $600 or more.

    (B)

    Interest (including original issue discount), rents, royalties, annuities, pensions, and other gains, profits, and income aggregating $600 or more.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    As always, work with your tax pro to determine your specific filing obligations.

    Tax advice is like a tailored suit, not a one-size-fits-all.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks to @Eamonn McElroy for his typically thorough response. Where do you find the time, colleague? :)

    @Howard Summers

    As you can see, we accountants disagree on technical details. There is no harm if you issue a 1099. But you can deduct the interest with or without a 1099. If you are ever audited, you will need to show that you're liable for the debt and have been making the payments.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks! I appreciate the help with this! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    The consensus is issuing a 1099-INT works, whether or not it's mortgage-style secured by real estate, am I right?

    The thing is we want to make this as easy as possible for our private (family/friends) lenders. If we just have to send them 1099-INTs, they just report that income on their tax return and we deal with the rest of the paperwork. As far as 1098 is concerned, it's supposed to come from the lender but we'd rather not make our private lenders confused figuring out how to do that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.