Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dunnie
Votes |
tax write offs from previous years

Ryan Dunnie
Posted Jul 21 2020, 11:54

I am in the process of fixing up a guest house in my back yard.  There is a good chance I won't be able to rent it until early next year.  Will I be able to write off the materials I used to fix it up this year on my 2021 tax return?

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Aug 2 2020, 20:28

@Ryan Dunnie

No.  Speak to a tax professional.

Since the guest house isn't in service, i.e. ready to rent, your improvements would go towards the cost basis and ultimately depreciated over 27.5 years once you are ready to rent it.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 29 2020, 10:33

@Ryan Dunnie

The cost of the materials and labor likely needs to be capitalized and then depreciated over its useful life.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eamonn McElroy#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Eamonn McElroy#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 29 2020, 15:16

I'm assuming this is currently a personal use asset, and not already a rental that's just taking a long to turn over or renovate.

We first have to examine when a change in use occurs.

Change in use will occur, in this situation, for a rental real estate asset on the first date that the asset is both (1) in habitable condition and (2) advertised as available for rent.

That doesn't mean you'll be able to expense based on a whim, it just opens the door.  You'll have to apply the tangible property regulations to determine treatment of costs.