• New to Real Estate
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Capital Gains Assistance - Please

Jonathan Kris
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Aug 12 2020, 17:35

I bought my asset (home) in 1998 for $245.000 lived in the home until 2011, it has been rented since to date 2020. The asset is now worth $896.000 . I plan to move back to the home for 2 years and then sell at the prevailing rate. I am aware of the depreciation recap , but how do I anticipate my capital gains.  Advice thoughts greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Aug 12 2020, 18:24
Originally posted by @Jonathan Kris:

I bought my asset (home) in 1998 for $245.000 lived in the home until 2011, it has been rented since to date 2020. The asset is now worth $896.000 . I plan to move back to the home for 2 years and then sell at the prevailing rate. I am aware of the depreciation recap , but how do I anticipate my capital gains.  Advice thoughts greatly appreciated.

Years 12-20 are non-qualified use, so your gain have to be prorated between qualified and non-qualified use even before you apply the exemptions. Qualified gain can be excluded under section 121. The tax advisor needs to run your numbers. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Kris
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 13 2020, 06:06

Thank you

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.