Looking for real estate cpa in MD/DC area.

5 Replies

Purchased first invest property. Do I need a cpa at this point and are there any suggestions in my area?

Updated about 1 month ago

Purchased first investment property recently. Do I need a real estate CPA at this point, and are there any and suggestions in the MD/DC area?


Are you open to working with your accountant remotely? I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You should consider working with your CPA remotely to expand your options. 

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

@Keith Nicholson

Your profile mentions that you are a real estate investor with a property located in a separate state than where you live in. You also mention putting your real estate agent business on pause.
You want to work with an accountant who understands real estate taxation, understands how to file multiple state tax returns and who understands business taxation(being a real estate agent is having your own business).

Good luck in your search!

I found having a CPA was incredibly helpful after getting my first property. I work with Kelly Hughes at Thompson, Hughes & Trollinger, PLLC, and he's been great!