First year filing taxes with rental income

First year filing taxes with rental income

Florence, SC · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes

This is my first year filing taxes with rental income. I have receipts from all of my expenses through the year and documentation for all of my income. I’m wondering how to I organize/package everything together to turn in to my CPA?? Thanks in advance for your advice

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    If your CPA is providing the bookkeeping, ask him/her how to best send over the documents. Many of us have online portals that we use.

    If you are responsible to provide the Profit & Loss statement, try to get a hold of a template for a rental property bookkeeping spreadsheet. Or, if you are a real DIY, look for accounting software.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Tom DegroodtPro Member
    Evans, GA · Member since 2016 · 122 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    Kyle,

    I was super excited our 1st year at all of the money I could save on taxes.  Usual deductions for the rental property, plus....  $ spent setting up the business, Mileage, tools needed for the rehab, rehab costs.  The home we bought needed a ton of work. Because we were hobby landlords in the past we were able to deduct education seminars..  

    I was so proud of myself, I sheltered $25K from W-2 wages, saving roughly $8,000 in taxes.

     Sounds great right?  Who doesn't want to save $8K  The problem came when we went to buy the next property.  The bank saw the $25K as a loss and added $2083 to my monthly debt, so my Debt-to-Income was crushed until we could file the next year.  

    If you are planning on growing next year and want to incur more debt make sure your accountant knows that.  I would have likely seen if there were expenses I could bring forward to the next tax year and not taken such a huge loss that 1st year.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.