• Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Previous owner didn’t disclose basement flooding

Ethan Daniel Dacar
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Feb 23 2021, 18:35

I recently purchased a property “closing date dec 16th 2020” and the seller didn’t mention anything about the basement flooding, in fact I remember him saying in one of the showings “the basement has never flooded” but that is definitely not the case.

Every time it rains water begins to pool up in the crawl space, it comes in from multiple different locations and all drains to where an old sump pump used to be. The sump pump was broken and the drain pipe inside of the basin where the water pools up is clogged. In some of my previous posts you can see that I’ve been dealing with mold in the basement because of all the moisture but I can’t take care of the mold until the flooding stops.

I want to pursue legal action against the seller for not disclosing the flooding in the basement but I wanted to get some pointers on how I should approach this. There’s no way the sellers didn’t know about the flooding because when the water gets high enough it starts spilling over the foundation wall and you can see it, there was also someone living in the basement as well so if they didn’t see it they could hear it.

Loading replies...