H&R Block for investment properties

5 Replies

I am currently PCSing with the navy and was wondering if it is good for H&R block to do my taxes for my investment properites in florida or should I try to track down a cpa? Thanks for the help.

@Dimitri Paspalaris

I used them for years then switched to TurboTax a few years ago. I can’t remember what it was exactly but there was something with the schedule E (where investment properties go) that caused me to switch. It was probably my failure to figure it out. But both work and are user friendly.


recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.

Get a good REI CPA/accountant & stay on top of it.

My wife just helped a guy here prepare his 2019, 20 taxes. He 'reports' $78k+ a year in FL rental income. His brother in FL apparently had an accountant who handled their real estate tax prep & file it, but she discovered he had yet to file 2014,15,16,17,18,19,20.

He owes, & owes, & owes.

@Dimitri Paspalaris

It does not matter what credentials a person carries, including a CPA designation. It does not matter whether the person works for himself or for a CPA firm or for H&R. There're some outstanding UNlicensed people working for H&R (hard to find them there, but they exist), and there're some totally incompetent solo CPAs.

The key is to find someone who knows real estate taxation. One of the sure ways to find such person is right here, on this forum. We have 20+ real estate tax experts answering questions on this forum and working nationwide.