Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Brody Mcgowan
Votes |
Can or should I 1031

Brody Mcgowan
Posted Jun 15 2021, 15:26

I closed on my property about 2 years ago and built a house on it for a total of $110k and I'm currently closing on selling the property for $209k. With it being my primary and only property, can I do a 1031 to avoid capital gain tax or would I even be taxed? I'm in Missouri, if that makes a difference.

If I need to 1031 my money, what is the time line to be closing? Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Brad Hammond
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied Jun 15 2021, 15:33

Since this was your primary residence and not an investment, it would not qualify for a 1031 exchange.  Good news though, there are no capital gains on primary residence unless you made hundreds of thousands of profit on it.  

• Real Estate Agent OREGON (#201229363)

Keller Williams Portland Central Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Jun 15 2021, 15:43
Originally posted by @Brody Mcgowan:

I closed on my property about 2 years ago and built a house on it for a total of $110k and I'm currently closing on selling the property for $209k. With it being my primary and only property, can I do a 1031 to avoid capital gain tax or would I even be taxed? I'm in Missouri, if that makes a difference.

If I need to 1031 my money, what is the time line to be closing? Thank you in advance!

No, you can not do 1031 on your primary residence, but you do not need to. You gain on a primary residence are excluded under section 121. You have to meet few requirements. Please check the other thread on sec 121. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Butterfield
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cornelius, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cornelius, OR
Replied Jun 15 2021, 15:47

i think a primary residence if you have lived there for 2 of 5yr is exempt of capitol gaines.