Being sued for not disclosing Rotten Boards under the roof

Being sued for not disclosing Rotten Boards under the roof

Sugar Land , TX · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I flipped a property over three years ago. I had hired a contractor to install a new roof before the sale. The roof was inspected and passed by a windstorm engineer.  Yesterday I received a letter from the buyer's attorney, threatening to sue me because the buyer supposedly started getting roof leaks at different locations of the house one year after purchase. According to the lawyer his client had someone look at the roof and they told him there were rotten boards under the flat roof. Supposedly the buyer contacted the roofer who installed the roof and asked him if he was aware of rotten boards. The contractor told him that he knew about the rotten boards and had informed me about them. But he said that I told him to install flat roof over the damaged boards anyway because it was cheaper. so the buyer is claiming that I knowingly did not disclose the rotten wooden boards. Therefore he is demanding $33000 for damages.  I was never informed by the roofer about any rotten boards and I was never aware of any rotten boards. I reached out to the roofer for explanation and he speaks very little English but says he never told the buyer any such thing. I am wondering does the buyer have a case against me after three years for non disclosure of something that I wasn't even aware of? What are my options if I get sued? 

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 229 posts · 271 votes
4y

I've replaced a few flat roofs. Are you saying its possible that the roofer stripped off the old bitumen/tar roof and found rotten sheathing but instead of replacing it they just laid down new felt over it and torched it down?

I can't imagine a legitimate roofer doing this without alerting someone to the condition of the OSB or plywood underneath just to cover their butts.

I guess the real question is was this a licensed roofer or you know....... just a guy?

That might be the real underlying issue. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    How did you communicate with the roofer via phone?  Text?   In person?

    Call the roofer.   Offer him $200 for his time to go with you to an Atty    Get something in writing from him 

    Go with the roofer to an Atty 

    Have the roofer give the Atty a sworn statement that he never told you their were rotten boards.  

    Ask the Atty what to do 


    if he doesn’t say I would Send the sworn statement to The other Atty 

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Rashid Ghafoor he has a case if he can prove fraud. Which would be that you knew about rotten boards.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Rashid Ghafoor only you know the truth. If you did know about rotten boards and told the roofer to ignore the issue, then failed to disclose, it could be an issue for sure. Part of this comes down to disclosure laws and what you actually told the buyer at the time of the sale. In my experience, roofers generally inform you about rotten boards and most encourage you to replace the boards at your cost. It is possible the roofer is just trying to cover their a$$ by pushing responsibility to you. Look back at your paperwork, emails and texts to make sure there is nothing in writing that talks about the boards. Minus anything in writing, it is basically your word against theirs. Assuming you are telling the truth, they probably don't have much of a case. 

  • Sugar Land , TX · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    The roofer never mentioned anything about rotten boards either orally or in any form of writing. I double checked all of my emails and text messages. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rashid Ghafoor:

    The roofer never mentioned anything about rotten boards either orally or in any form of writing. I double checked all of my emails and text messages. 

     I would ignore the letter, especially if it wasn't sent certified mail. Say nothing directly to them. Any communications should come through your attorney. It sounds like they don't have a case, but that is a lot of money, so don't say squat unless your attorney tells you to.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 229 posts · 271 votes
    4y

    I've replaced a few flat roofs. Are you saying its possible that the roofer stripped off the old bitumen/tar roof and found rotten sheathing but instead of replacing it they just laid down new felt over it and torched it down?

    I can't imagine a legitimate roofer doing this without alerting someone to the condition of the OSB or plywood underneath just to cover their butts.

    I guess the real question is was this a licensed roofer or you know....... just a guy?

    That might be the real underlying issue. 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 229 posts · 271 votes
    4y

    Also to echo what everyone else is saying without some kind of signed affidavit from the roofer that he told you about the damaged sheathing (which I can't imagine the buyer being able to get a hold of) I think the buyer will have an uphill battle as the burden of proof lies with them and not you.

  • Contractor · NJ (new jersey) · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Rashid Ghafoor get a lawyer

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Canton, GA · Member since 2021 · 32 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    @Rashid Ghafoor

    Do NOT RESPOND IF POSSIBLE!

    3 years seems to be a long time. I know in GA the statue of limitations was 2 years. If you are out of the time line I don’t believe there is anything they can do.

    But

    If they serve you with legal papers , then $ and consult with an attorney before replying.

    That’s what I would do

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Affidavits are generally not admissible in court as they are considered hearsay.  Furthermore, an affidavit cannot be cross examined.  The roofer would need to testify under oath in court.

    It's also considered a big no-no to offer compensation in return for an affidavit.  Affidavits should be freely given.  There shouldn't be any quid pro quo involved.

    If a demand letter was sent, it's time to contact your attorney.  Based on your OP that's what it sounds like it was.

    Good luck.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    Let them sue you, then defend yourself in court. Honestly people are way more scared of getting sued than they should be. Realistically they are unlikely to sue you. It will cost them money, they probably wont win.....and theres no way that roof is $33k unless its a mammoth house. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    4y

    @Rashid Ghafoor If he started getting leaks a year after purchase and the purchase was 3 years ago, could his delay in attending to the problem cause a small section of overlooked rot become the huge problem he now wants you to pay for?

  • Investor · NW Florida · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Did the buyer obtain a professional inspection of the house before purchasing?  Also, was the roof permitted?  If so, did it pass inspection? 

  • Sugar Land , TX · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    The buyer had an inspection done before the purchase and the roof passed the inspection. The buyer did not ask for any repairs to the roof at the time of purchase. 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Let them sue you, then defend yourself in court. Honestly people are way more scared of getting sued than they should be. Realistically they are unlikely to sue you. It will cost them money, they probably wont win.....and theres no way that roof is $33k unless its a mammoth house. 

     I'd guess that the $33k includes redoing drywall and ceilings that got wet, painting the whole house to match the new paint  as well as damage to belongings.  All which should be covered by their insurance, so technically part of that would go to their insurance co.

    Wonder if he got a permit and used a licensed roofer and if a licensed roofer or a permit was required in that area.  That could add to liability.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.