User Stats

Votes
Jack Levy
Votes |
Looking for a CPA that can help with tax strategy as well as tex prep

Jack Levy
Posted Dec 21 2023, 12:29

Hello, 

I am looking for a CPA that has experience with rentals, crypto, and tax strategy/planning in Florida. Preferably someone local, near or around Tampa, but only because I want to support local businesses. Location is not necessarily a requirement just a "nice to have.". 

I can go into detail here if it's helpful. Any advice or direction is appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Stern
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 21 2023, 17:09

Hey Jack, I recommend Rob Montgomery in Parrish FL outside of Tampa, he is very knowledgable on working with real estate investors. 

https://affordableaccountingparrish.com/

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haynes
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 22 2023, 14:25

Hello Jack Levy in Tampa? I would be interested if your Tax Strategy CPA even mentions IRS Publication 523 concerning the Sale of a Residence. The rule states that if you live in your Home for 2 out of 5 years, when you Sell it is Tax-free up to $250,000. During the time you live in your Homesteaded Florida Home for the $50,000 discount off your Property Taxes valuation, you find another fixer-upper to Rent. When you are ready to Sell your Home, you move into your Rental and just do it again Sam. This is the safest and easiest way to add Real Estate to your Investment Portfolio. "Tax-free Real Estate Machine" the rest of your life.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 22 2023, 17:06

@Jack Levy I don’t think it necessarily matters if the CPA is local provided that they have a strong background in real estate, have experience working with Florida-based investors, and understand unique requirements of Florida compliance. For example, Florida has special requirements for LLCs.

If you do decide to work with a remote real estate CPA outside of Florida make sure they have the tools and software to make it easy to collaborate.

Finally, look at the signatures of 20 + real estate CPAs commenting in this forum and you may find one in Florida or someone that is commenting on a topic that is relevant to your situation - just DM them.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Replied Dec 28 2023, 12:41

@Jack Levy - Crypto can be tricky. Most of my clients use TaxBit to help them keep track of it. Coinbase has some decent internal reporting to. At any rate, just be sure to vet whoever you choose. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 19 2024, 10:47

@Jack Levy,

We have experience with crypto, but are primarily a firm for real estate investors big and small. Please checkout our website in my bio to see if were a fit! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haynes
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 20 2024, 10:23

Hello Jack Levy in Tampa. Besides targeting a CPA who is familiar with all kinds of business investing and Crypto you could look for an Accountant/CPA in Tampa who worked with the IRS, called an "Enrolled Agent." That is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. If you Google Search, "Enrolled Agents in Tampa, Florida" you get The 10 Best etc. That made me remember one of my first, "Get Rich Quick" seminars from 40 years ago with Wade Cook or some other "Cookie Cutter" Investment Plan guy. He said, "You never want to start Investing based on the Tax Advantages to a Business." As a small Investor and Trader, of lots of different Markets, I consider this total B.S. Example; Florida has no State Tax, so, any gains from a Sale of Crypto is only taxed at the Federal level. Maybe, that is why all the Billionaires are moving to Florida. Also, if you don't own your Home, you lose out on the Sale of a Residence rule and not Homesteading the Residence you lose the $50,000 discount off your Property Taxes. Plus your Property Tax cannot increase by more than 2% a year as opposed to all the other property taxes which are doubling like the Home Owner's Insurance and Flood in Florida. With Businesses there must be a hundred ways to be Tax-free, Tax-deferred and Minimum Taxed. 

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 20 2024, 21:05

I have been investing in real estate in Tampa for the past 20 years. I have a solid CPA in Tampa who has helped me in the past with all of my returns, including my Crypo investments. Inbox me if you want this info. 

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo