Classifieds

User Stats

Votes
Rosca Nicolae
Votes |
I will buy my first house.

Rosca Nicolae
Posted Feb 6 2024, 10:02

Hello! Looking for an undervalued property in Massachusetts, perhaps an old house that needs restoration or buying a house with financing from the seller, what can you recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Dan M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Walden, NY
Replied Feb 6 2024, 11:32

Hello Rosca . Yes you will buy your first house! I would recommend jumping onto realtor.com or zillow or trulia and looking at properties where you plan to buy. If you use the filters you can look for a house at a certain size, or a certain price, or certain bedrooms or a combination of all 3. 

Unless your planning to buy something outright I would talk to a couple banks and introduce yourself and let them know your planning to buy soon. They can talk to you about fees and closing costs so you know what your getting into.

Also an experienced realtor can be invaluable to help answer your questions about the process and show you houses you like and have interest purchasing. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik LaBonte
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Feb 6 2024, 14:11

Hi Rosca,

If you are looking for assistance, I might be able to help! I'm a Realtor and investor in MA (and an investor in other states as well).  Your initial approach would most likely be:

1. What would the purpose of my purchase be? To flip, rehab and rent, other?

2. What is my buying power or budget? A lender pre-approval could help guide you.

3. How much cash on hand do you have for the renovation project?

4. Are you handy enough to do this on your own? Will you need some help?

Answering those questions will help zero you in on particular areas for you to get started. The best advice I was given was to learn a little to give yourself the boundaries, and then don't be afraid to pull the trigger once you are ready! I'm sure you'll be able to accomplish your goals. 

If you need more help and assistance, please feel free to send a connection and I'll be more than glad to help.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Feb 7 2024, 13:34

@Rosca Nicolae Check out first time home buyer program on Mass.gov You can jump on any of the real estate sites and look for houses with longer times on market and follow price drops. You can network with folks you know to see if anyone is selling. You can look at marketplace on here and FSBO but you need to get a feel for the market you are looking in before you know the typical price point in the area and a good value. A relator can help with that but do your own groundwork.