Votes |
Eager to Learn: Seeking Real Estate Mentor in Phoenix

Aaron Arnold
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Feb 14 2024, 13:26

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

My name is Aaron, and I'm currently embarking on a journey to deepen my understanding and expertise in the real estate field. Living in Phoenix and working as a mortgage underwriter at Chase has given me a unique perspective on the financial aspects of real estate transactions. In 2021, I took a significant step by purchasing a duplex, aiming to dive headfirst into property management and investment.

The journey hasn't been without its challenges. The pandemic, coupled with my inexperience, extended the period it took to secure a tenant for the property. Before the tenants moved in, I undertook a small remodel to ensure the property met my standards and would provide a comfortable living space for its occupants. I'm currently in the process of remodeling my side of the duplex, with plans to complete it within the next couple of weeks.

Once this project is wrapped up, my immediate goal is to pay off the debt accumulated through this venture. I'm keenly aware of the importance of financial prudence and plan to ensure my next property purchase is conducted with a solid foundation and minimal financial strain.

I'm reaching out to this incredible community in search of a mentor who can guide me through the complexities of real estate investment and property management. I understand the value of hands-on experience and am willing to work for free at a property management company, or in a similar capacity, to gain the knowledge and skills I need to succeed. My goal is not only to expand my portfolio but to become proficient in managing and maximizing the potential of each investment.

To any seasoned investor or property manager willing to share their wisdom and insights, I offer my earnest dedication, willingness to learn, and hands-on support in your projects. I believe that with the right guidance, I can overcome the learning curve and contribute meaningfully to our mutual success.

If you're interested in mentoring an enthusiastic learner or could use an extra pair of hands in your operations, please feel free to reach out. I'm looking forward to connecting and growing with the support of this community.

Thank you for considering my request. I'm excited about the opportunity to learn from the best and make my mark in the Phoenix real estate market.

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Feb 14 2024, 17:40
Quote from @Aaron Arnold:

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

My name is Aaron, and I'm currently embarking on a journey to deepen my understanding and expertise in the real estate field. Living in Phoenix and working as a mortgage underwriter at Chase 

Hi @Aaron Arnold: What is it you want to accomplish?

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Arnold
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Feb 15 2024, 07:57

Hello @Ken M.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. My primary goal is to develop a comprehensive understanding of real estate investment and property management, with a particular focus on expanding my portfolio responsibly and sustainably. Specifically, I aim to:

Acquire More Properties: I'm looking to grow my real estate portfolio by adding more rental properties, focusing on multifamily units like duplexes, triplexes, and quadruplexes. I believe these types of investments offer a good balance of risk and reward, especially in the Phoenix market.

Improve Property Management Skills: Having faced challenges in managing my first property, I want to learn effective property management techniques. This includes everything from tenant screening and lease management to maintenance and renovations, ensuring I can provide great living spaces while optimizing operational efficiency and profitability.

Financial Strategy and Analysis: I'm keen on mastering the financial aspects of real estate investing, such as evaluating deals, structuring financing to minimize risk, and understanding the tax implications of real estate investing. My background in mortgage underwriting has given me a good foundation, but I'm eager to delve deeper into strategies that seasoned investors use to finance and scale their portfolios.

Networking and Mentorship: I'm looking for opportunities to connect with experienced investors and property managers who can offer guidance and mentorship. I believe that hands-on experience under the tutelage of a mentor can significantly accelerate my learning curve and help me avoid common pitfalls.

Contribute to a Mentor's Success: In exchange for mentorship, I offer my dedication, time, and effort to assist with any projects or operational tasks. Whether it's conducting market research, assisting with property management duties, or helping with financial analysis, I'm ready to contribute value to my mentor's endeavors.

Ultimately, my ambition is to build a robust and profitable real estate portfolio that not only generates passive income but also contributes positively to the communities in which I invest. I'm committed to learning, growing, and overcoming the challenges inherent in real estate investing. Your insights, advice, and potential mentorship would be invaluable to me as I pursue this path.

Looking forward to your thoughts and advice.

Best regards,

Aaron Arnold

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dick Rosen
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Feb 15 2024, 09:56

@Aaron Arnold, I certainly would not consider myself a mentor but I'm happy to share my experiences with as things come up. I was a fix/flipper in Minnesota, ended up with 33 rentals that I attempted to manage myself. We moved to Gilbert AZ in 2011 and I have been a professional property manager for other people ever since.

Hit me up with a message if you like and I'd be happy to connect.

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Feb 15 2024, 10:15
Quote from @Dick Rosen:

@Aaron Arnold, I certainly would not consider myself a mentor but I'm happy to share my experiences with as things come up. I was a fix/flipper in Minnesota, ended up with 33 rentals that I attempted to manage myself. We moved to Gilbert AZ in 2011 and I have been a professional property manager for other people ever since.

Hit me up with a message if you like and I'd be happy to connect.

You might want to connect with AZREIA.org the local Real Estate Investment Assoc. it's about $20 per month with about 2,000 investors doing all sorts of things.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Feb 15 2024, 12:21

@Aaron Arnold, It takes a village to make a team.  And real estate investing is really a team event.  So your education and team building should come from multiple sources and people.  There is no "one size fits all" of real estate investing.  As far as a long-term approach to expanding your RE Portfolio 1031 Exchanges are a good tool to sell and purchase your investment properties and defer all tax.  Getting to use the deferred tax to build your own portfolio is like adding gasoline to a campfire!!