Classifieds

User Stats

Votes
Ramon V Perez
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Simi Valley, CA
Votes |
Newbie investor looking for a real estate CPA to file our w-2 and our rental property

Ramon V Perez
Pro Member
  • Simi Valley, CA
Posted Mar 2 2024, 20:58

We are a w-2 couple in need of a CPA who can help us maximize tax benefits in our 2023 tax filing

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 3 2024, 07:02

Hey @Ramon V Perez

We connected via DM already, but I wanted to mention this for anyone else who comes across this post: 

Given we are accountants, we cannot promote our services on BP as its against the rules.

To help in your search:

be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.

Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Davidson
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Morgantown, WV
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Morgantown, WV
Replied Mar 3 2024, 18:58

Hi @Ramon V Perez,

I am a fellow real estate investor with a 16-unit multifamily who is also a Certified Public Accountant. I would be happy to help you with anything that you need.

Stag Advisors Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 18:30
Quote from @Ramon V Perez:

We are a w-2 couple in need of a CPA who can help us maximize tax benefits in our 2023 tax filing

Ramon, 

I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck in your search.

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly Furrh
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Oklahoma
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Oklahoma
Replied Mar 5 2024, 04:31

I recommend that you look at the new section of Build Your Team.  Bigger Pockets just added a feature that allows you to see multiple tax professionals that are endorsed by Bigger Pockets.  

I also recommend that you find someone outside of Los Angeles.  Accountants in the middle of the USA are typically cheaper and just as qualified as someone in big cities.

Good luck!!!

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 5 2024, 10:46

@Ramon V Perez

I don't think the location of the CPA matters provided that they have a solid background in Real Estate and software/tools to support you remotely.

Finding a Real Estate CPA is simple. There are 20+ real estate CPAs commenting in this forum. Pick one that is commenting on your specific situation and DM them.

User Stats

Votes
Ahad Ali
Pro Member
  • CPA/Investor
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CPA/Investor
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Mar 6 2024, 09:35

Hi Ramon, there are many CPAs on this platform that you can reach out to. I would recommend you get a CPA who is also an investor. You can try looking for someone within your state or find someone remotely. There are a lot of firms who provide good remote service. We are based in NY, but we take clients nationwide. We currently have clients in 38 states. We specialize in RE and Small Business Clients. I am also an investor myself. We would be happy to help if you're interested.

User Stats

Votes
Ramon V Perez
Pro Member
  • Simi Valley, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Simi Valley, CA
Replied Mar 6 2024, 18:52

Thank You all for your input, we are setting calls with all the CPA firm or individual that we can here.