• Real Estate Investor
  • Hope Mills, NC
Votes |
CPA questions needed

Harrison Helmer
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hope Mills, NC
Posted Jan 15 2023, 08:31

Does anyone have general questions you would ask a new CPA when you invest in businesses and MH'S ?

Mine has decided to go out of business

User Stats

Votes
Linda Weygant
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Jan 16 2023, 05:21
Quote from @Harrison Helmer:

Does anyone have general questions you would ask a new CPA when you invest in businesses and MH'S ?

Mine has decided to go out of business

Oh this is a great topic, thanks for asking it.  The questions my clients ask me....

* What is your experience with my area(s) of investment/income generation?  How many clients do you have who do what I do?

* Do you invest in the same things I do?  If so, can you tell me your experience?  If not, is there anything similar to what I do?

*  Can you give me one small tidbit that you know about my area of investing?  (You're not going to get a tax strategy session out the initial interview, but asking for one cool strategy they know that fits your area will let you know if they really do know their stuff or not).

*  How often can I contact you through the off season?  What types of contact are billable and what types are not?

*  Do you stand by your work?  Have an audit guarantee?  What percentage of your clients get audited?

Just so you know - in late 2021/early 2022, I read an article that indicated that over the previous 3 years, 1 in 8 tax preparers (12%) had left the business in some way - retired, merged, died, etc.  More recently, an article came out indicating that 17% would be leaving in the next 5 years.  College students are not taking up the profession in any way that will significantly replace those who are leaving.  So what you're experiencing with your CPA is going to be more and more common.

Best of luck to you!