Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Personal Finance
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Votes |
Starting a RE Investment Firm

Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Posted Jan 20 2023, 19:10

For those of you who own an Investment firm, how did you start the firm? ie how did you get that first million-dollar deal?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Fisher
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jan 23 2023, 14:31

@Ross Hartman. Any thoughts on this one ross? 

User Stats

Votes
Ross Hartman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 2 2023, 16:26
Quote from @Nathan Fisher:

Thanks for the shout out Nate. @Nicholas Burch we just started Hartman - Virzi capital late in 2022 (hvcfund.com). Preparation started about 8 months before we incorporated. We used this time to build up a knowledge base on what we were getting into (in our case, multi family private equity/ syndication). I recommend books such as "The best ever apartment syndication book" by Joe Fairless, books on underwriting, fund raising, and market analysis. 

After we knew what we were getting into, we then chose a target market and interviewed/ connected with 3rd parties to bring on our team, think Accounting firms, Securities atty's, property managers, local brokers, website design, back end software, etc. 

We thought about LLC structures, property requirements, submarket analysis, and started to gather soft commitments from potential investors, about 1.2 million in our case.

After 6 months of "due diligence", learning and getting ready to make offers, we incorporated in June of 2022. Submitted a handful of offers over the next 6 months but did not close. 

For the "finding a deal" part of your question, we are still searching. We have just deployed an off market acquisition strategy we are testing out over the next few months; mailers, cold calling, etc. 

Hopefully I helped a little bit, but we are still trying to grow and close our first fund. 

Would love to connect and go into more detail if you'd like. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 17:35

@Nicholas Burch, we had lunched our CRE Investment firm in June and had closed ~$7M deals by September, 2022. We have a fulltime employee sourcing deals. Feel free to connect, I can share what I know, lessons, mistakes, and processes.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Replied Feb 2 2023, 18:23
Quote from @Ross Hartman:
Quote from @Nathan Fisher:

Thanks for the shout out Nate. @Nicholas Burch we just started Hartman - Virzi capital late in 2022 (hvcfund.com). Preparation started about 8 months before we incorporated. We used this time to build up a knowledge base on what we were getting into (in our case, multi family private equity/ syndication). I recommend books such as "The best ever apartment syndication book" by Joe Fairless, books on underwriting, fund raising, and market analysis. 

After we knew what we were getting into, we then chose a target market and interviewed/ connected with 3rd parties to bring on our team, think Accounting firms, Securities atty's, property managers, local brokers, website design, back end software, etc. 

We thought about LLC structures, property requirements, submarket analysis, and started to gather soft commitments from potential investors, about 1.2 million in our case.

After 6 months of "due diligence", learning and getting ready to make offers, we incorporated in June of 2022. Submitted a handful of offers over the next 6 months but did not close. 

For the "finding a deal" part of your question, we are still searching. We have just deployed an off market acquisition strategy we are testing out over the next few months; mailers, cold calling, etc. 

Hopefully I helped a little bit, but we are still trying to grow and close our first fund. 

Would love to connect and go into more detail if you'd like. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL

Check your DMs

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Quote from @Account Closed:

@Nicholas Burch, we had lunched our CRE Investment firm in June and had closed ~$7M deals by September, 2022. We have a fulltime employee sourcing deals. Feel free to connect, I can share what I know, lessons, mistakes, and processes.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Replied Feb 2 2023, 18:24

Check your DMs

User Stats

Votes
Brock Mogensen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Feb 3 2023, 07:35

Syndication is great model to follow for creating a big investment firm..when you don't have millions to invest personally.