Heloc to renovate then cash out refi. Good idea?

Heloc to renovate then cash out refi. Good idea?

Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 2 votes

I would like to pull out some equity from my primary property so I can start investing in real estate, but my house is in need of some renovation. Is it a good idea to take out a Heloc to do the renovation, then refinance after hoping that the renovation added a decent amount of equity to the property? My estimated property value is $1,300,0000. Remaining balance $400,000. Estimated cost of renovation $300,000. Any advice would be appreciated. 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 637 posts · 393 votes
2y

Hey Tiffany, this is a great question. We help clients determine which route makes the most sense all the time! One of the best tools out there is a blended rate calculator that can help you determine if HELOC or cashout makes more sense. In your case, my gut tells me just do one cash out refinance rather than a HELOC into a refinance because it will save you from paying two sets of closing costs and title fees. We are licensed in HI and I would be happy to do a free consultation to see which option makes more sense for you. Hope this helps!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 637 posts · 393 votes
    2y

    Hey Tiffany, this is a great question. We help clients determine which route makes the most sense all the time! One of the best tools out there is a blended rate calculator that can help you determine if HELOC or cashout makes more sense. In your case, my gut tells me just do one cash out refinance rather than a HELOC into a refinance because it will save you from paying two sets of closing costs and title fees. We are licensed in HI and I would be happy to do a free consultation to see which option makes more sense for you. Hope this helps!

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    2y

    It could be! Sometimes you can find a HELOC with no costs but you have to keep it open for a certain amount of time - I'd get clarifiation from wherever you get the HELOC since your plan is to pay it off when you refi. You'll have to compare the value now to what you think it'll be after the repairs to see if it makes sense to do a HELOC and refi.  

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Yes, I'm unsure if I will be able to get an accurate ARV. I will look into a no cost Heloc. Thank you for the information.

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thank you for your response. I guess I am trying to also tap into the value added after renovation but maybe not worth it to do it like that. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tiffany Makiya:

    I would like to pull out some equity from my primary property so I can start investing in real estate, but my house is in need of some renovation. Is it a good idea to take out a Heloc to do the renovation, then refinance after hoping that the renovation added a decent amount of equity to the property? My estimated property value is $1,300,0000. Remaining balance $400,000. Estimated cost of renovation $300,000. Any advice would be appreciated. 


     Hi Tiffany,

    I think any homeowner with a decent amount of equity should look into HELOC as an "emergency fund" option. With that, based on your numbers, I think you should go for a HELOC and I think you should easily qualify for up to $700K as HELOC limit. There is no downside to getting a HELOC, except that if you apply this year, most likely you will be getting a interest rate that will be around 7%-8%. If you find a bank that offer you an introductory rates like 3% or 4% (usually it is good for 2 to 3 years) that would be good.

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thank you. Now I have some research to do. Thank you for the advice.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    2y

    @Tiffany Makiya- whats  present rate on 1st mtg ?  whats  projected value on home post improvements ?  what is realistic timeline for improvements to be done ?  

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    My rate on 1st mortgage is great, 2.875. I am having a hard time getting a good estimate on the ARV. It seems as if prices in HI are pretty different in comparison to the rest of the country. Realistic timeline 6mo not including permitting.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I have done this its a great strategy if can find a deal where can cash out refi afterwards, hard part right now is finding deals that cashflow after a brrr its getting very rare. 

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    2y

    @Tiffany Makiya- you wont want to refinance your priamry home and lose the 2.875%  rate .....I would suggest  getting a heloc in place for  as much as possible to use for your remodel and funds to use in your  investment plans ...... see what the highest  heloc  you can qualify and obtain .....many heloc lenders have  max limits on helocs  like  200K  250K some  are  higher

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Tiffany Makiya 300k for a renovation is a lot of money. That is the part to focus on. Is it a good idea to borrow against your home and overpay for the work because you have the cash? I'd say no. Secondly can you afford a huge payment? Lenders are more conservative these days which is a good thing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.