Save a bunch of money on cigarettes for your investing fund

9 Replies

Of course, the best way to save money on cigarettes is to quit. I know, I know.

But it's not me, it's my husband. He smokes 3 packs a day and is not planning to quit (been married 26 years - he isn't going to budge). At an average of $5 a pack (he smokes the cheap ones), that's $450 a month.

I found a place online where you buy roll-your-own supplies and you can roll a whole carton for about $8, including shipping costs.

So, in the past couple of days I rolled 2 cartons for him, saving $80. It took less than an hour per carton to do.

I'm planning on putting the money we save into our investing fund.

I think I might put it into a life insurance fund. 3 packs a day for 26+ years isn't sustainable. That is if the hospital bill for his inevitable health issues don't bankrupt you first. My grandfather died 35 years ago from smoking. His hospital bill was approaching $1 million dollars when he died. Aside from the immediate costs of smoking, does he realize the costs he will cost his family when he gets sick?

I don't know if he realizes all that or not. I don't think it would affect his behavior if he did. His father died from lung cancer. His mother had a couple of open-heart surgeries due to smoking as well, but she smoked until the day she died. Medicare and Medicare supplement insurance paid for all of their treatments.

Anyway, I know from experience that my nagging won't get me anywhere. Believe me, I've tried. Should have made him quit before marriage!

Originally posted by @Leslie A. :
I don't know if he realizes all that or not. I don't think it would affect his behavior if he did. His father died from lung cancer. His mother had a couple of open-heart surgeries due to smoking as well, but she smoked until the day she died. Medicare and Medicare supplement insurance paid for all of their treatments.

Anyway, I know from experience that my nagging won't get me anywhere. Believe me, I've tried. Should have made him quit before marriage!

I'm sorry to hear that. You would think watching his parents die would curtail his behavior. Oh well. Protect and prepare yourself financially, because you know how this will end. I don't know how it works exactly for medicare/caid to kick in. But I think you have to exhaust most of your assets in the process. You will only be allowed to hold a certain amount of assets if I'm not mistaken before they pay. I'd contact a lawyer about how to protect yourself before you accumulate a lot only to potentially lose it later. That would be a shame, I will assume he's pretty much uninsurable for a fair cost. Good luck.

I always liked Mark Twain's response:

"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it thousands of times."

Others have given some good advice ... prepare for expensive medical bills and for life without your husband.

I've never been a smoker, but I have marveled at the folks that don't give up as the cost goes up and up and up. But we all know it's not a logical thing. Good for you for being resourceful though! And your ciggies might even be a tiny bit less unhealthy by having fewer additives.

I have had a few tenants that I know must spend as much on their smoking habit as they do on housing. It's especially frustrating when they're giving you some story about why they can't come up with the rent on time this month.

I smoke and have for about a decade. I smoke between 10-20 cigarettes a day. I roll my own and there is a "tabacco outlet" jist down the road from me that sells the electric rolling machines, bags of tabacco and filtered papers. It costs roughly $10/carton. Quite cheap to smoke really. The health side of it as others have mentioned is a whole other story. I fillup a pack of smokes every morning in a couple minutes so it is not a big deal, hassle wise.

It is always a good idea to lower your daily expenses but even if I am not the best example it is also a good idea to be very aware of your long term expenses and liabilities as you seem to be aware.

Leslie,

Nice. That's equivalent to making $40/hour tax-free. I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I believe people will make the sacrifice for their loved ones. Instead of nagging, ask your hubby to quit smoking for you and the kids because you guys want to see him around longer. Doing it in a loving way is typically more effective than the nagging way.

Good luck.

$5 a pack?! We haven't seen a $5 pack of cigarettes in New York in years. I think the prices range between $9 and $15 depending on where you live. If you really want your husband to quit, you should have him spend 3 months in NYC. Comrade Bloomberg's policies are still in effect and your husband will quit fast when he's spending $45 a day to support his habit.

All kidding aside, I hope that you are able to have a conversation with him about quitting and how important he is to his family. Best of luck!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.