A financial fitness test for parents

3 Replies

Hello BP, this past weekend I was in Toronto, Canada and read the The Globe and Mail paper. There is an interesting 10 questions quiz that I thought of sharing with you.

So, if you have a few minutes, I challenge you to test your financial fitness as a current or future parent at the link below.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/household-finances/financial-fitness-quiz/article24937089/

Thanks for the link. It's not a bad survey, but the answers are definitely geared for the general population rather than for people likely to be financial outperformers.

For example, a young adult should move back home after college in order to save for a house. My girlfriend and I did that, and it's a spectacular idea. This survey disagrees. In order to get rich, you have to beat your peers. Living rent/mortgage-free for a while is one of the best ways to do that.

Future parent here.

I kind of disagree with some of the answers, like Jon mentioned above. For example, interest rates ARE a bargain right now - as long as you're using them to get a good ROI. And it IS ok to use debt/interest to acquire assets that appreciate (like houses), that also give you a ROI. This is called leverage, and can help a young person like me build wealth and income much faster than paying for an investment with all cash.

@Kimberly T.

@Jon Kepler

I am in agreement with both of your reasonings. The author's selections are not far off though and can be used as a yardstick for basic measurement of financial prowess.

Thanks for your feedback and time spent with the quiz.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here