I don't ever want to be owned by banks again.

I don't ever want to be owned by banks again.

Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote

I started like many, and was a reluctant landlord because of a house that wouldn't sell. 15 years later and an extremely rocky time during the housing bubble burst, I have finally crawled out of the hole and am ready to look into investing again. I was able to keep our original rental, but lost the other properties at a large financial cost. Now I am EXTREMELY loan adverse. "The borrower is slave to the lender", so I am not interested in being in that position again. The only, and I mean only, borrowing I am considering is an equity line on the rental that is almost paid off. Is real estate the wrong investment path for me, or is this just the super slow lane? I get leverage.....what I learned the hard way was that it works both ways. 

Saving for the next turn-key rental will take approximately 2 years with these assumptions:

8,000/year net rental income reinvested per rental. 100K or less 3/2 houses. 25K equity line. 

1Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Everyone has different tolerance for risk, and using leverage is generally considered more risky. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think there's a right or wrong way, you have to do it your way. By not using leverage is definitely going to take a lot longer to accumulate the critical mass of rentals you'll need to feel comfortable, whatever that cash flow number is. But it can be done! 

    Debt is like fire or electricity. It can be destructive or useful, depending on how you use it, not taking into account outside influences...

  • Rental Property Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jason Romey I primarily invest without taking on mortgage loans, and it hasn't slowed me down. Sure I could probably grow my portfolio faster by leveraging with mortgage loans, but the ideal doesn't excite me. So, maybe just look into a lower cost market and doing some flipping until building up more capital to purchase more buy and holds.  That's the approach I'm taking and doing well so far.  If there was a major crash tomorrow, I wouldn't miss a beat or worry because I'm not leveraged to the max.  Plus I have enough equity in all my properties where I could borrow against the equity if ever needed.  Good luck as you get going again!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.