Votes
Adam Mangrum
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Seeking honest feedback on my plans to prepare to start investing

Adam Mangrum
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted May 16 2017, 10:25

Hi everyone! I'm not sure which place would be best to post this so I'm posting this here and in the introduction section (this is my first post). I apologize for the length but I wanted to give a lot of background to hopefully make the advice given as relevant as possible.

Since joining the site and listening to about 50 BP podcast episodes, I've been formulating my plan to get started with RE investing. An idea recently occurred to me that I would really appreciate some feedback on.

I'd like to preface by saying that I feel like my wife and I have made some pretty stupid financial decisions and we are trying to fix those mistakes. That's the main reason for this post.

Our cash flow situation isn't nearly where it should be before we jump into investing. We bought a 4 br 2 ba home for $215k in 2015 a year after graduating college after conferring with a trusted local investor who I feel gave us some ill-placed advice. He suggested that buying a duplex instead of a SFR as our first home wouldn't make enough of a difference to matter and to go ahead and purchase the SFR as our residence and work on saving up for our first rental property. I sure wish I would have listened to Scott Trench's podcast episode and read his posts before we thought about buying a home!

The problem: our current situation leaves us with only $400 left after all expenses, I'm ashamed to admit. Our expenses include $1,150 in loan payments between student loans ($680 monthly), a personal loan with a 6k balance and a couple of credit cards with balances totaling about 8k. As I said, we weren't the best at money at all and have drastically reduced our spending after reading Mr. Money Mustache and other personal finance/early retirement blogs. 

We only bring in $70k gross currently between our two jobs and don't anticipate it changing anytime soon. I am doing a career change (finished a pre-med degree 2 years ago) into software development, and should be done with my second bachelor's in the field in December 2018. 

That's the backdrop to our situation. 

Before we bought the house, our monthly expenses were $835 less in fixed costs, and we've spent a few thousand dollars between a couple of DIY projects (painting the siding, replacing the main level's flooring) and the tools needed to do those projects. We are contemplating whether we should sell the house and go back to renting until we can buy a duplex. It makes a lot of sense to me to do that, but I wanted to get some genuine opinions from people here about it. 

Here are the pros and cons that I've come up with:

Pros:

1. Much more cash flow to be able to quickly pay off CC balances and the personal loan to free up another $350 in monthly cash flow. 

2. After paying off the bad debt in #1, much more cash flow to more quickly save for a down payment on a duplex.

3. Overall, getting started in REI much sooner than if we stayed in the home and waited for my new career to pay us well enough to save for the down payment on a second property.

4. Less stress on my wife, who hates her job and wants to stay home with our son and the future child(ren) that will come at some point, or at least only have to work part-time as a photographer (her dream job, and something she's really good at).

Cons:

1. Having to give up the space of a house and get rid of some belongings we have that wouldn't fit in an apartment lifestyle.

2. Having to explain to family and friends why we are taking a step "backwards," and having to admit that we made a mistake based on our new value system. (This one isn't a huge deal, we are humble enough to admit to the mistakes we have made.)

3. If we sell the home, we couldn't qualify for first-time home buyer loans for 3 years (not a big deal I suppose, since it will take the good part of 3 years to pay off bad debt and save up a nice down payment for a duplex)

4. Aaaand the more I think about it, the only cons are the hit to our pride and having less space to store things.

Anyone care to pitch on whether or not I'm thinking about this correctly? Does anyone disagree with the decision to sell our home? If you agree that we should sell the home, do you have any other good reasons that I haven't covered? 

Thanks to all in advance for any advice. 

Adam

Loading replies...