Should I Kill My 401k?

Should I Kill My 401k?

Schaghticoke, NY · Member since 2015 · 216 posts · 57 votes

I've been listening to Set for Life, by @Scott Trench.  Great book!  One of the things discussed in the book is how a 401k locks up part of your income, and that if you aspire to reach early financial freedom then a 401k slows you down because you cannot access part of your income.

I'm 27 years old and about 3.5 years post-college.  About 7 months ago I changed jobs, and I was able to cash out my 401k instead of rolling it over to my new employer.  I restarted a 401k with my new employer and currently only have about $900 in the account, so I wouldn't be taking a huge penalty hit or anything like that.  I contribute $42/week, which seems pretty significant on a monthly or annual basis.  Should I kill my 401k so that I can access this $42/week?  Another $168/month does sound really nice, and I do plan to grow a portfolio of rental properties to support myself and my family.  I have one duplex currently and I'm under contract for my second.

Any general thoughts or advice would be great!

1Reply
313 views

Most Popular Reply

minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 92 votes
8y

401k's are a scam invented by wallstreet lobbyists. Obviously I'm being obtuse, but the reality is that as an investor, you can make much better use of this money than it can sitting for 40 years in a financial mgmt company's account.

To hell with employer match. To hell with tax deferment. To hell with diversification. REAL estate. Emphasis on the "Real".

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Westport, CT · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 183 votes
    8y
    I think he said he had $80k in cash from dividends but a lot more invested in dividend stocks. My 401k is all set to dividend reinvestments so never any cash building up.
  • Sunnyvale , CA · Member since 2017 · 373 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    Mike, your question is the same one that an average 27 year old would ask. Guess what I asked that question @ 27 as well. Now at 40, I see life differently. To me the 401k is a terrific investment vehicle and wish I had invested more and more aggressively in during my early years. I have been maxing my 401k contribution @ 18k per year and my employer matches me 100%. I invest in similar vehicles a SEP for my wife as well.

    But let me tell you @ 27, I had my doubts and I was talking to a manager/mentor who was 41 and he said well you are young and your income has the potential to double, triple, quadruple. He was more than right. Your incomes will rise and likely more than you can imagine at this time. Add this to the income potential your spouse is or will bring.

    So while the 401k might be a stretch today and a burden on your day to day lifestyle and your other investment choices, it wont be soon.

    It might be a delayed gratification tool but it still pays you well today by giving you tax breaks and even better if your company is matching your contributions. How did it play out for me? Well I did ok. Several rental properties and a solid 401k both in my possession and I love both. The rentals came in a lot later in life (after age 35) but I wish I had been a ton more aggressive on the 401k.

    Lastly don't be the funny boy on the block. I have been one so I am just offering caution. By funny boy I mean the boy who skips the 401k because its not visible to anyone but you but then the boy does not hesitate to buy the shiny car on debt because its visible to others. I know you wont but hey what good is my experience if it is not shared. Good luck.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    It amazes me on the misinformation that is spread on BP about (1) not being able to access retirement funds until age 59.5 (2) being able to use real estate to beat the near 100% rate of return of an employer match and (3) the cost of 401k plans to participants for every plan out there.

    We can make a 40% IRR on a real estate deal and it does not hold a candle to the employer match, nor do we have to wait until age 59.5 to access it, nor does it cost many members anything except a minuscule index fund fee.

  • Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes
    8y

    I think there are really two aspects that the original poster seems to ignore.

    1. Diversification of your assets. I believe that it is always important to have assets in various vehicles. Having all your eggs in one basket definitely exposes you to too much higher risk, even if you are only 27. In case of the downturn in one area, you can always pull assets from another area to compensate.

    2. The free money you get from your employers. Can't beat free money. Yes, you can make more somewhere else from time to time. But can you do it consistently over a log period of time? 

    In 2008, the markets tanked and I lost over 50% of my 401k. Instead of panicking and selling everything like most people did, I doubled down and maxed out my contributions. The last 8+ years have been an amazing ride of the stock market, considering where we came from. I also had investments in Real Estate, but my 401k investments have definitely outpaced my real estate investments over the last 8 years. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 80 votes
    8y

    @Mark Smith Why limit the number of investment vehicles you have at your disposal by putting all of your eggs in one basket? Diversification is important , and investing in real estate, stocks/bonds/cash, and Tax deferred investment vehicles will diversify your investment portfolio significantly. Tax deferred investment vehicles like the 401k / IRA / SEP IRA will give you tremendous tax advantages especially as you climb the income generating ladder.

    This is a REI website so of course you will get investors that tend to favor REI, however don't lose site of the big picture. Diversification will probably improve and level out your overall investment performance. To earn more capital, think in terms of sharpening the wheel and making more money at your job and or developing side income generating businesses that can supplement your primary source of income.

    I know some will argue that "Diworsification" actually lowers investment performance.   I believe that diversification of investment vehicles AND income streams provides the most stable and secure path to financial prosperity. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    8y
    As everyone will probably tell you, it depends on your goals. Do you plan to just invest on the side, build a nice stream of income and use your portfolio for your retirement? Or are you aggressively trying to hustle, replace your income, quit your job and go full time REI? I would guess you’re somewhere in the middle like most of us and would recommend taking the free money that your employer matches, and keep the rest liquid for REI. Another option is opening up a self directed ROTH IRA that has similar tax benefits, but also allows you to access your contributions(not gains) before retirement allowing you to be a bit more flexible with it while still maintaining the tax benefits.
  • Accountant · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    It depends on your intent for using the 401k. After changing employers twice in the past two years I have accumulated (with employers match) $10,000 that I can use for my first real estate purchase, given this amount will be taxed.

    I plan on using this for my downpayment on my first property(even given the tax consequences). In my opinion - if you are not able to use it for real estate capital don't invest as this is not a stream of income, its a pile of cash sitting. 

    But if you plan on staying with the employer long enough to receive a large employer match, maybe contributing is a good idea. Again, it just depends on your financial goals/plans and how long you will be staying employed there. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    8y

    Great question. Lots of great and interesting advice for you to consider. I think it depends on your goals and the unknown.  I think it would be best to keep your 401K , especially that your employer is doing a match, and its another stream of income. Peoples life circumstances change having something is better than nothing.

  • minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 92 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    It amazes me on the misinformation that is spread on BP about (1) not being able to access retirement funds until age 59.5 (2) being able to use real estate to beat the near 100% rate of return of an employer match and (3) the cost of 401k plans to participants for every plan out there.

    We can make a 40% IRR on a real estate deal and it does not hold a candle to the employer match, nor do we have to wait until age 59.5 to access it, nor does it cost many members anything except a minuscule index fund fee.

    With respect, there is no way that an employer match plus an index fund can give you 20% returns every single year for the next 30 years and then 50%+ for the rest of your life. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    Yep, take the free money, you can take a loan of 50% of the value of your 401K, but are limited to taking out a total of 50K, so it makes sense to me to fund it and let it grow to at least $100k. Also, if you are up to date with your accounting, then there may be some instances where funding the 401k can keep you from the higher tax bracket. But it's probably easier for me than most because I can play with contribution numbers myself online as well as change the number of dependents. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    It amazes me on the misinformation that is spread on BP about (1) not being able to access retirement funds until age 59.5 (2) being able to use real estate to beat the near 100% rate of return of an employer match and (3) the cost of 401k plans to participants for every plan out there.

    We can make a 40% IRR on a real estate deal and it does not hold a candle to the employer match, nor do we have to wait until age 59.5 to access it, nor does it cost many members anything except a minuscule index fund fee.

    With respect, there is no way that an employer match plus an index fund can give you 20% returns every single year for the next 30 years and then 50%+ for the rest of your life. 

    Index funds will not return 20+% nor are retirement plans inaccessible for 30 years.  My post covers the employer match and it's 100% return on investment.

    Many people contribute to 401k plans and their employers match the contribution dollar-for-dollar.  That's a 100% return on their investment with no effort.

    Retirement funds are not inaccessible for 30 years.  There are Roth Conversion Ladders and 72t Distributions that many people use long before 30 years.  Or, just simply take a hardship withdrawal, pay the 10% penalty, and have your return go from 100% to something slightly below.

    My portfolio is largely real estate and I don't contribute a lot to my 401k but when I do, the contribution gets an immediate 100% return.

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    8y

    @Mark Smith

    Would you say no to a 100% return on investment in 1 year with 0 risk? That's what you're doing if you don't put the amount in that is matched 1 to 1.

    I used to max out my 401k every year, now I just put in the minimum 5% to get 100% matching so it becomes 10%. Even though I'll likely never need this money and the money that I have is being invested in my portfolio, you can't beat no risk 100% return guarantee.

    ALSO SUPER PROTIP: you can take up to 50% or 50k loan from your 401k!!! This is HUGE. Think about it. It's pre-tax money. I would disagree with killing a 401k completely if you have matching 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It amazes me on the misinformation that is spread on BP about (1) not being able to access retirement funds until age 59.5 (2) being able to use real estate to beat the near 100% rate of return of an employer match and (3) the cost of 401k plans to participants for every plan out there.

    We can make a 40% IRR on a real estate deal and it does not hold a candle to the employer match, nor do we have to wait until age 59.5 to access it, nor does it cost many members anything except a minuscule index fund fee.

    With respect, there is no way that an employer match plus an index fund can give you 20% returns every single year for the next 30 years and then 50%+ for the rest of your life. 

    On a side note, I happen to agree with you that 401k plans are a scam but for different reasons.  Many of them are full of high cost funds that support the retirement of the fund manager better than the plan participant.  Plan participants should also be able to choose how to invest their hard earned savings rather than how the government chooses.  I also do not like that some plans allow taxable contributions to traditional 401k accounts coupled with in-service distributions and then mega backdoor Roth conversions of those funds...and other plans do not allow this benefit.  I'm guessing the IRS will close this loophole at some point.

    None of this changes the benefits of the employer match though.  My feelings don't matter on that one, just the math.

  • Schaghticoke, NY · Member since 2015 · 216 posts · 57 votes
    8y

    Thank you everyone for your input!  There has been a lot of great advice here, and a lot of great points made.  I'll hang onto the 401k.  Our match is 25% of the first 4% we contribute, and as of 1/1/18 they are increasing that to 50% of the first 6%, so I will plan to contribute 6% so that I at least max out the match.  I like the idea of an additional income stream down the road, so I'll max the match and keep the rest liquid for other investment opportunities.

  • Manhattan NY · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    What about if my employer doesn't match?

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 125 posts · 63 votes
    8y

    @Mark Smith Let me shed some light on this as I just turned 27 last month. Being an individual who owns real estate, has a employer sponsored 401K, and a self-directed IRA, I can tell you my biggest returns have been from real estate. The problem here is there is only one thing I mentioned above that has directly changed my living standards TODAY -- that's the cash flow from my real estate.

    I have approximately $30K in stock investments from my IRA and 401K (both roth) which sounds nice, but I plan to liquidate both accounts in the coming weeks and use that money to buy more real estate and here's why. Aside from 8-12% returns I've received from my retirement accounts, there are NO tax advantages, and no immediate income stream. The money I have contributed to my retirement accounts have in no way helped me TODAY. Some of my rental properties have returned 20%-30%.

    I am not willing to continue to contribute to account(s) that will not let me reap the returns or awards for another 25+ years, and have no impact on lowering my taxable income. AND IF I MAKE ANYMORE MONEY I WILL BE PHASED OUT AND NO LONGER BE ALLOWED TO CONTRIBUTE PER THE IRS TAX LAWS.

    The 401K's and IRA's are great for the average person, but for me it just does not make much sense.

    You can buy a $100K  rental property today, receive cash-flow, take tax deductions, and by the time your 55 it will be paid off and the property will have probably appreciated enough that you can sell it and have more then what you would have in your retirement account if you continue to contribute 6% for the next 25 years, or continue to let it cash flow and receive that income stream for life.

    I guess if you're only contributing 6% it really doesn't make much of a difference.

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 125 posts · 63 votes
    8y

    @Mark Smith And did I mention you can buy that $100K property with 80% of the banks money?

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    At the very minimum, continue contributing to your 401K up to the company match.  Usually that equates to 6% of your income.  Since it is before taxes, you won't miss it out of your paycheck. 

    The company match is FREE money, so you don't want to walk away from that.

    Your 401K is not entirely inaccessible.  You should have the ability to borrow against it once it grows to significance.  Borrowing against it will allow you to use that money for your investments, but also save the benefits you have with it as a 401K account, AND you pay a very low interest rate that you PAY YOURSELF!  It really is a great tool.

  • Financial Advisor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 502 posts · 508 votes
    8y

    There is no income limit for being able to make a tax deductible contribution to an employer-sponsored plan (401K, 403B, TSP,etc.) There is no income limit to be able to make a contribution to a traditional IRA, although the deductibility of that contribution is phased out at different levels depending on your filing status and whether you have access to an employer-sponsored plan.

    Direct contributions to a Roth IRA are phased out, but you can get around that rule. [Google "backdoor Roth IRA" if you're curious.]

    There had been some discussions about reducing 401K plans as part of the tax reform, but those ideas didn't make it into the final law. You may still prefer real estate investing for other reasons, but non-availability of conventional retirement plans isn't a factor.

    Best of Luck with Your Real Estate Investments!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    REI is great but diversification is important. I would invest in the market as well as real estate. Do you really want to miss out on a great stock market that’s completely passive?
  • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2014 · 325 posts · 268 votes
    8y

    I do both.  I invest the maximum in my 401(k), do backdoor Roth conversions, and invest in real estate.  I'm comfortable with my choices, and successful in both.

  • Investor · Wakefield, MA · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 71 votes
    8y

    @Brendon Woirhaye What's a backdoor Roth conversion? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2014 · 325 posts · 268 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Cosmo Iannopollo:

    @Brendon Woirhaye What's a backdoor Roth conversion? 

    @Cosmo Iannopollo, a backdoor Roth is when you are ineligible to contribute to a Roth IRA due to your income. You can contribute non-tax deductible funds instead to a traditional IRA, and then convert that traditional IRA into Roth funds. There are complications if you have a large existing traditional IRA. I would recommend Harry Sit's writeup on the topic at the Finance Buff.

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Cosmo Iannopollo

    You can also make after-tax contributions to a 401k if your employer plan allows for it and then you can convert those funds immediately to a Roth IRA even if you are still working. I would start by asking your employer 401k administrator for a copy of the plan's "Basic Plan Document" as it will detail whether your the plan allows for it and if they will allow for the immediate conversion of just the after-tax funds to a Roth IRA even if you are still working for that employer that sponsors that 401k plan.

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    Hey,  the truth is sooo much depends.  I have personally advised people to stop and I have told others that they should continue investing in their 401k plans.  You have to look at YOUR investment strategy for financial freedom and along with other considerations.   For example, the savings in real estate investing can significantly offset what you could be losing in matching.  Talk with a professional to see what is best for you and your overall financial situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.