• Ballwin, MO
Votes |
Taking Care of Student Loans

Mackal Smith
  • Investor
  • Ballwin, MO
Posted Mar 12 2018, 16:02

Hey everyone,

I haven't provided an update since my last post in November. At that time I asked everyone's opinion on using rental properties to help offset my daughter's student loans. Well, I'm 5 months in and I figured I would give everyone an update.

My daughter finished school about 4 years ago with a little more than $100K in student loans. She has been able to defer the government loans, but the private loan payments (that I co-signed) run her about $850/mo. The most she can pay is around $600/mo so my contribution is around $250/mo over the last 4 years.

I just finished setting up a line of credit for $125K and I'm lucky enough to live in St Louis where I can find positive cash flowing properties. I already own 25 units so I know the market fairly well.

My plan has been to acquire a couple (or three) 4 plex units that should net me $150 to $175/unit/mo (based on what I have seen over the last 3 years with my other units). Luckily I was able to find a couple. The first is $135K and the second is $112K (after lots of wrangling with both). Rents for both come in at $2025/mo for the $135K property and $1850/mo for the $112K property. These 2 should provide me close to $1,000/mo to cover her student loans after debt service, insurance, capex, opex, taxes, and vacancies. The nice part is that I need $27K down payment for the $135K property and $22.4K for the $112K property which I will use the line of credit to pay for. My daughter will pay back the line of credit which should reduce her payment to less than $350/mo.I'll then use the cash flow from these properties to pay her existing student loans.

I formed a new company which I named EdRecoup Properties, LLC. I'll keep everyone updated on how I make out, but at least I was able to find properties in the same farm area where my other properties are and on the surface it seems that my plan will work...

Loading replies...