Whats the catch with debt consolidation companies?

Whats the catch with debt consolidation companies?

Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 133 votes
So I keep getting these debt consolidation letters in the mail and usually I just toss them not giving a second thought. I decided to open one today just out of curiosity. Are these companies legit or is there some fine print catch going on here? On the surface it looks like a no brainier, trade high interest debt for lower interest debt, save thousands on interest. Just wondering if this could be a short term solution to lower monthly payments until I ELOC equity from my last renovation to pay back high interest debt. Thanks
0Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Ogden, UT · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    @James Clements Stay away from them. Far, far away. Many lenders will treat you like you have had a bankruptcy when you use them.
  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 133 votes
    8y
    @Zach Simpson Thanks! after doing some digging I see it's not the best option for me.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.