Max out Roth or save for real estate?

Max out Roth or save for real estate?

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 14 votes

Hi guys, I wanted to get some outside opinions on something I’ve been thinking a lot about over the past year or so. 

I have a goal of reaching financial independence by 30. I am 25 years old, married, have a mortgage on my home and a heloc that I used to invest in an apartment syndication. Currently in the 24% tax bracket.

My father has always told me “max out your roth no matter what!”. I’ve been doing this and I realize the long term potential, however I feel like contributing $12,000/year slowing me down in the short term. I'm currently maxing out my roth and focusing on paying down the heloc with any other money I can come up with. If I stopped maxing out my roth I would pay the heloc off in less than a year and continue saving until I found a good rental property to purchase using my heloc and any additional cash I've saved. My thoughts are that if I repeat this process over the next few years it could expedite my journey to FI.

In short, should I continue maxing out my Roth or should I pause for a few years to pursue more real estate investments?

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
361 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

If you haven't read @Scott Trench's book Set for Life it may be a good place to start. He has some solid advice. I am not personally putting money into any retirement accounts right now. All extra money is getting pumped into real estate. Once we have built up enough passive income from real estate to feel comfortable without W2 income, then we will re-evaluate the strategy. 

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lane Kawaoka:

    I am very against the Roth or any retirement account (other than 401k in some situations).

    You will pay taxes now or later and you will likely to pay more taxes in the future... so pay it now.

    And 10% penalty is nothing to be in retail type investments. You can recoup that in 12-14 months.

    Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.