Anyone know of a lender that does interest only refi?

Anyone know of a lender that does interest only refi?

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes

I just found out about interest only refinance and I think that is the loan that's going to work best for me. Only problem is that I'm having a tough time finding a lender that still provides one.

Does anyone have any info on who would still be providing those?

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Sean Johnson:

@Shaun Weekes

Yeah I don't ever want to pay the principal down. Why would I do that when I can continue to leverage against the home every 10 years for an increasing amount of cash out plus monthly cash flow from rent? There's no benefit to taking the time to pay it down over the next 15 years and have the market pass me by as I slowly die of old age...

I'm sorry, but I'm looking for lender information not for outdated advice

To answer your question all you have to do is ask your Loan Officer or Broker add I/O to your new loan. This is standard and super simple on all property types.

I've been in the mortgage game for 16 years as an LO and Processor and I've seen cycles that KILL appreaciation. From now to 10 years there will be a market correction and if your home loses value and principal didn't go your chances of becoming upside down on your home are much greater. You need to Pull Out ( rents & refinance ) and Push down ( Mortgage Balance) to obtain maxium LTV ( Loan to Value ) year after year. Appreciation shouldn't be a factor because you have no control over it unless it's forced by a rehab.

I also don't want to pay off any of my (4) investment homes but paying down the mortgage coupled with rental income will ensure that I can always refinance my homes for more opportunities every 1 to 7 years or however I see fit.  Regardless of market corrections.

Since you're so focused on I/O maybe you should get HELOC and at least that way your entire mortgage won't stay at the same balance forever. I'm all about leverage and UOPM ( Using other peoples money to make money ) but you will go upside down faster if you use I/O only methods on 100% of your balance.

If your RE investing strategy is based on appreciation first, you're going to crash and burn.  Appreciation should only be looked at if it's forced by a rehab.  Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Johnson:

    I just found out about interest only refinance and I think that is the loan that's going to work best for me. Only problem is that I'm having a tough time finding a lender that still provides one.

    Does anyone have any info on who would still be providing those?

     What is your scenario?

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Shaun Weekes

    155k left in loan

    Zillow / Redfin estimate value of 369k

    I have 2 guys renting rooms from me under the table at 800/utl incl a piece

    I want 260-275ish to squash my consumer debt and to start purchasing homes for BRRRR several states over in Springfield, MO.

    I like the interest only aspect because it lowers my monthly cost and when I rent the house out officially, I'll be cash flowing 600 a month I think with the equity check in my hands. Then when the term is up I'll just refi again

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Johnson:

    @Shaun Weekes

    155k left in loan

    Zillow / Redfin estimate value of 369k

    I have 2 guys renting rooms from me under the table at 800/utl incl a piece

    I want 260-275ish to squash my consumer debt and to start purchasing homes for BRRRR several states over in Springfield, MO.

    I like the interest only aspect because it lowers my monthly cost and when I rent the house out officially, I'll be cash flowing 600 a month I think with the equity check in my hands. Then when the term is up I'll just refi again

    If you're paying off bad debt and let's say you're saving $600 a month from that payoff I would consider that my new $600 in cash flow. Doing an interest only loan is cheaper monthly but you don't pay down on the principal balance. So that new loan amount will NEVER go down which to isn't worth it in my opinion. At least not long term, this is why I don't like HELOC's long term.

    The biggest thing is how will you use the additional cash out to make money.  You need to have a great plan from start to finish and then execute it.  You also need to surrond yourself with like minded people who know how to get the job done.  Once you this all in place you'll be albe to rock and roll.

    I hope this helps.

  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    if I were you i'd stay away from interest only. it sounds like you got a good foundation of what you want to do. but paying that loan down some will provide you with ammo later (if terms of a cash out, or refi) when you want to fund your next BRRR.
  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    also, i'm in the springfield, MO market as well. do you live there now??
  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Shaun Weekes

    Yeah I don't ever want to pay the principal down. Why would I do that when I can continue to leverage against the home every 10 years for an increasing amount of cash out plus monthly cash flow from rent? There's no benefit to taking the time to pay it down over the next 15 years and have the market pass me by as I slowly die of old age...

    I'm sorry, but I'm looking for lender information not for outdated advice

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Martin Tyler

    Not yet, I'm hoping to move in the next half year or so, as long as this financing works out

  • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    cool. look me up when you get here. do a 30 year loan, and rock on with your plans
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Johnson:

    @Shaun Weekes

    Yeah I don't ever want to pay the principal down. Why would I do that when I can continue to leverage against the home every 10 years for an increasing amount of cash out plus monthly cash flow from rent? There's no benefit to taking the time to pay it down over the next 15 years and have the market pass me by as I slowly die of old age...

    I'm sorry, but I'm looking for lender information not for outdated advice

    To answer your question all you have to do is ask your Loan Officer or Broker add I/O to your new loan. This is standard and super simple on all property types.

    I've been in the mortgage game for 16 years as an LO and Processor and I've seen cycles that KILL appreaciation. From now to 10 years there will be a market correction and if your home loses value and principal didn't go your chances of becoming upside down on your home are much greater. You need to Pull Out ( rents & refinance ) and Push down ( Mortgage Balance) to obtain maxium LTV ( Loan to Value ) year after year. Appreciation shouldn't be a factor because you have no control over it unless it's forced by a rehab.

    I also don't want to pay off any of my (4) investment homes but paying down the mortgage coupled with rental income will ensure that I can always refinance my homes for more opportunities every 1 to 7 years or however I see fit.  Regardless of market corrections.

    Since you're so focused on I/O maybe you should get HELOC and at least that way your entire mortgage won't stay at the same balance forever. I'm all about leverage and UOPM ( Using other peoples money to make money ) but you will go upside down faster if you use I/O only methods on 100% of your balance.

    If your RE investing strategy is based on appreciation first, you're going to crash and burn.  Appreciation should only be looked at if it's forced by a rehab.  Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.