Looks like time for new septic drain field

12 Replies

Always on a holiday weekend . I get a call from a tenant , they said their is toilet paper in the yard .  I ask where and they say near the septic tank . I know this is not good , I head over this morning and sure enough tank is overflowing . I walk the yard and its wet over where there is ivy growing . Never would have noticed that since who walks in the ivy beds . Now I have to get things flowing . I go to my shop and grab my small backhoe and start digging near the wet spot . First I dig a 3 by 6 ft deep hole , then I cross the yard to intersect the drain field pipe . I hit the pipe after about 4 feet , and woosh , the grey water is flowing , fill the hole in no time . I grab a piece of plywood and cover the hole . The tenants are back able to flush .

This week I will rent a mini ex , have the plumber pull a permit and install new drain field . Drain field lasted 24 years . Crappy job ahead . But it wont cost me more than $1500

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

Always on a holiday weekend . I get a call from a tenant , they said their is toilet paper in the yard .  I ask where and they say near the septic tank . I know this is not good , I head over this morning and sure enough tank is overflowing . I walk the yard and its wet over where there is ivy growing . Never would have noticed that since who walks in the ivy beds . Now I have to get things flowing . I go to my shop and grab my small backhoe and start digging near the wet spot . First I dig a 3 by 6 ft deep hole , then I cross the yard to intersect the drain field pipe . I hit the pipe after about 4 feet , and woosh , the grey water is flowing , fill the hole in no time . I grab a piece of plywood and cover the hole . The tenants are back able to flush .

This week I will rent a mini ex , have the plumber pull a permit and install new drain field . Drain field lasted 24 years . Crappy job ahead . But it wont cost me more than $1500

A properly maintained septic can easily last 50 years. Are you having it pumped regularly and are the tenants careful with what they are putting down the drains? 

Promotion
Obie Insurance
Coverage for your rental
Get a quote for your rental property in 2 minutes or less.
Save on landlord insurance. A transparent, simple, and affordable way to protect your investment.
Start Saving
Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

A properly maintained septic can easily last 50 years. Are you having it pumped regularly and are the tenants careful with what they are putting down the drains? 

This one lasted a bit over 20 years . I can only tell the tenants not to put grease and wipes down the drains hard to stop them .  Its no big deal to dig new fields , I will do it this week or this weekend . 

Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

@Matthew Paul  good luck to you!   I  think we couldn't get a leach field up here for 10 x that amount but hope I don't have to find out anytime soon! 

I have access to equipment and can run them . Just some stone , pipe , and filter cloth . I will be done in 3/4 of a day 

This one lasted a bit over 20 years . I can only tell the tenants not to put grease and wipes down the drains hard to stop them .  Its no big deal to dig new fields , I will do it this week or this weekend . 

Regular pumping will remove these items. It sounds like it overfilled and clogged. Do you have it pumped every 3 years? It may save you some trouble in the future. Just a thought.

Regular pumping will remove these items. It sounds like it overfilled and clogged. Do you have it pumped every 3 years? It may save you some trouble in the future. Just a thought.

I pump all my properties once a year .  This  system handles 2 houses total of 7 people .  Not unexpected . Just a small bump in the road .

@Matthew Paul A new drain field with the lateral lines cost me about 4K getting it done through a septic company. Original one lasted about 50 years

A few years ago one of my properties in the city, which always was thought to be on the sewer system, the tenants reported smelling sewage in the back yard. The yard slopes straight down to the railroad tracks, on the other side is an industrial plant. I go take a look and sure enough I see telltale signs of a full septic. Get a shovel and dig in the area and find a septic lid. I call the city sewer service department, guy looks on plans and tells me that house was left off sewer because it's below the end of the line on a dead end street, but that the city will make me hook up to sewer with a pump if tank and field cannot be saved. Call my pump guy, he comes out pops the lid and tank is virtually solidified to the top, no pumping in probably a few decades (I bought this house out of an estate). We get it pumped and I rent a mini track and start digging up the field lines. No field lines - about 40 feet of clay tile into a huge gravel pit. Tiles totally full of ancient biomass. 

Ended up putting in 40 feet of perf pipe in a hole that was about 8 feet deep all the way to the original cess pool area, filled with 10 tons of washed stone. About a grand total repair.

@Matthew Paul Look into a Septic Protector for the washing machine. It's the clothes fibers that do not break down that clog the field. Also consider two fields alternating every 6-12 months.

Originally posted by @Christina Madison:

@Matthew Paul Look into a Septic Protector for the washing machine. It's the clothes fibers that do not break down that clog the field. Also consider two fields alternating every 6-12 months.

Powdered laundry detergent , hair conditioner and the dreaded white tailed mice cause more problems than lint 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now