Assistance in Evicting Tenants

7 Replies

I wanted to see if someone could clear a few things up. I've heard of 3 types of notices landlords can use for eviction. Can anyone explain what each is used for?

1. Pay Rent or Quit Notice
2. Cure or Quit Notice
3. Unconditional Quit Notice

Thanks!

Bump!

(sorry I don't have the answer, but I want to know the answer to this question as well!!!)

I'm going to try and revive this one again :mrgreen: Help ?

I just googled it and found a lot of info on this site: http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/landlord/

Note: Some is state specific, all states probably vary some. Be sure to check your local rules and regs.

Problem is that the laws are different in different states. That's a good reference, but we need to know what state you're talking about.

While that state doesn't really outline exact steps for every state it at least gives definitions of the terms as requested.

Here are some handy references I found a while back. They link to the state landlord and tenant laws of every state--VERY helpful. Probably will get to what I would guess is the principal question, which is: Which one of these do I need and how do I use it?

Each state handles these differently. Not only is the title of the document different, but also the language that must be in each, how many days must pass before you can send it, how long you must give (minimum) to correct the deficiency, and when and whether or not you can charge late fees. Here you go:

1. Links to real estate license law--these have links to the state code with the answer you're looking for.
http://homebuying.about.com/od/licenselaw/

There are a lot of resources available, but the best that I have found is www.hud.gov. This is the Housing Authority website for the U.S. You can search by state and it will list the exact procedure for that state.
As for the forms, in most cases, you will need to find those online yourself.
However, generally, a Notice to Pay or Quit is what it implies: non-payment of rent. Cure or Quit usually involves some sort of lease breech (be it: noise, rule breaking, not being clean, etc.) and the tenant is given a certain amount of time to do those things (varying by state) and the last one is basically saying, "GET OUT!" with no more opportunity to rectify the situation. hope this helps.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here