For Rent SIGNS - are they effective still in the electronic age?

For Rent SIGNS - are they effective still in the electronic age?

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

Do you still put up a FOR RENT sign on the yard or on the gate?

Of course this depends on the location and whether you get foot traffic or may be a neighbor might want to switch places...

But with online ads I put down clearly the terms - security deposit, first month, last month rent plus app fee etc etc etc so those who don't qualify most likely hopefully (yeah I know...) won't call. However, if you put up a FOR RENT sign with a phone number then you are back to taking random calls from whoever read the sign and you have to spell out the terms again. Or is there a way to direct them to the online location instead of just a plain phone number?

Options:

- put a web address or a QR code on the sign to direct them to the ad. No phone numbers.

- put phone numbers but say for additional information please go here first...

- put a transparent box on the sign with printed flyers with the same info as the online ad.

0Reply
55 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    12y
    I always felt for rent sign is always asking thiefs to come and rob me I am vacant
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    HAHA that's true I feel this way when I call newspaper to stop delivery between 12/22 to 1/2 when I got visit my parents I was thinking it's like announcing you are going to be vacant during the holidays.

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I only use for rent signs for our two rentals. They fill quickly an I usually get people that are friends of a neighbor. And that's a good thing in our area. I do not list anywhere else.

  • Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 95 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I have the same luck as Josh. While we use online listings, the for rent signs bring referrals from people living in the neighborhood... since they have skin in the game trying to pick good neighbors, it seems to be a good source for leads IMO.

  • Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 579 posts · 301 votes
    12y

    A few "Smile you're on Camera" signs and some cheap usb or webcams can help with thiefs. Also, let the neighbors know you'll give them a referral fee if they know someone interested in renting.

    Yard signs are still very effective but I also recommend using a call forwarding/answering service like callfire.com or a google #. With callfire I set up "IVR"s (Interactive Voice Response) for each of the homes I had listed for sale. You can have the calls transferred to your phone and you get a 'whisper' saying "Heather Street" or whatever you want so you know which property they are calling about. Also, with the IVR you can set up a prerecorded message that gives them info you want and then something like Press 1 to leave a message, Press 2 to be transferred to an operator (you!). It does a great job of keeping track of all the calls and it's only a buck a month for each #.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    It depends on the clientele.

    With our student clientele, everything is electronic - we put advertisement on-line, they respond via text or email; we send them an application and the respond to schedule a viewing.

    In out "working class" tenement, we put a sign in the yard {though these days we put a QR code on the sign as well} in addition to placing an advertisement online.

    We have never placed a print advertisement.

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 114 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    I have experimented with this very thing this month. Three years ago all I did was put a sign in the yard. This time around I started with a Craig's list ad only with no sign.

    Because I list everything (other than exact address) in the ad, and the flood of apartment ads that post hourly in my area I didn't get too many calls and only a few showings - no apps.

    After a week I put a sign in the yard. It has generated a ton of calls (due to no info only phone #) and more appointments, but a lot of no shows.

    I have found that 95% of the people that call from seeing the sign I would not rent to (or they don't qualify). The lookers from craigs list all seem to be better candidates so far, but they never fill out an application. Seems like a toss up - the people that see the sign I know want to live in the area, but won't qualify, and the people from CL appear to qualify but I'm guessing aren't fond of the neighborhood.

    Who knows - it's a bad time of year to fill a vacancy.

  • Philly Area, PA · Member since 2008 · 297 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    I've always had better results with for rent signs, then Craigslist but as one poster mentioned it depends on your clientel. Roc

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    We get a ton of calls from for rent signs, but many are not good candidates. I think it still makes sense to put a sign up.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y

    Sure it's effective. You want to do it in places that rent quickly in good areas, otherwise you could have worries about break-ins or squatting.

    I don't like signs that say "visit something.com/whatever/address839392.

    Give a phone number to call too. The voicemail could have info about the property then let them leave a message.

    I don't personally put signs up because my neighbors would frown on it, but most "middle class" or "lower class" neighborhoods might not mind it.

    I get junk responses from Craigslist too-- people who are being evicted as we speak, people who are nuts, people who don't qualify.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Even though we are in the electronic age, I believe there is a small percentage of people that are not computer literate and considered "Old School" who still buy and read actual newspapers or will call on a sign. With my number on the sign, I have had neighbors call me if they see anything suspicious at the property.

    Personally, I do both signage and internet marketing for my rental properties. To avoid spam email when I use craigslist, I put my cell number with hours in which they can call to inquire about the vacant property, which has worked really well in the past. Although a sign can attract unwanted attention (vandals/thieves) when the property as it's vacant, I think it's a 50/50 chance. I also ride by, stop in and check on the vacnt property at various times during the day.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    My local rentals I handle myself are condos so I can't put up a sign as it violates the rules of all the different HOAs. Have tried a few other things but Craigslist has been the best and never really need anything else.

    Usually good canidates that mostly show up to appontments and are savvy enough to be able to send an email. Since I am not a fan of talking with them on the phone and want anything they request in some form of writing I like that.

    On my out of state stuff the PM uses signs and I think that is one of the bigger drivers for her calls.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    I've had better results with signs over online ads. Since I have multiple properties in close proximity to each other, I put signs on each one (even if already occupied) just to get the phone to ring more. Some prospects will see only one of the signs while others will drive around enough to see them all. Regardless, I let them know which address is actually available.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Oh! That's a smart strategy Steve. Prospective tenants search primarily by location, so placing a sign on each property in a given area is equivalent to increasing the number of impressions (in online advertising speak). Do you respond to every call, or let them go to voicemail and sort/filter the messages by questions asked/seriousness etc?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.