Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason Gilbert
Votes |
Buying a duplex and terminating a lease agreement

Jason Gilbert
Posted

In Utah, if I buy a duplex and there is a recently signed lease agreement with the previous owners, but the rent is about $500 lower than it should be, do I have the right to terminate that lease agreement since the agreement is not between myself and the tenant?

Thank you for your help!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

No, you do not have the right to terminate the lease agreement since the agreement is not between yourself and the tenant. The tenant has the right to the lease they signed, regardless of what it says, until the end date. After that, they will either leave, you can have them sign a new lease (with your terms), or have them go month-to-month. Once they are month-to-month you can raise rents, give them 60-days notice to vacate, etc.

You could offer them cash for keys when you take over the lease. If you are unfamiliar with what this is, it is when you basically buy them out of their lease. "I'll give you X dollars to sign this contract agreeing to move out early by Y date."

Do you have a property in mind? How much longer is left on the lease? Utah's appreciation is nuts right now. Depending on how the numbers look, it may be worth it to eat the $500 loss until the lease is over if the property is appreciating more than that each month.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Gilbert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Mike Gorius:

No, you do not have the right to terminate the lease agreement since the agreement is not between yourself and the tenant. The tenant has the right to the lease they signed, regardless of what it says, until the end date. After that, they will either leave, you can have them sign a new lease (with your terms), or have them go month-to-month. Once they are month-to-month you can raise rents, give them 60-days notice to vacate, etc.

You could offer them cash for keys when you take over the lease. If you are unfamiliar with what this is, it is when you basically buy them out of their lease. "I'll give you X dollars to sign this contract agreeing to move out early by Y date."

Do you have a property in mind? How much longer is left on the lease? Utah's appreciation is nuts right now. Depending on how the numbers look, it may be worth it to eat the $500 loss until the lease is over if the property is appreciating more than that each month.

Yes I’ll be under contract tomorrow. I feel the market in Utah is softening so I am concerned I’m buying at the top of the market, so the lower rent makes me a bit nervous. The lease is in place until next March. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Logan McKay Zylstra
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

As Mike said, you cannot terminate a lease. However, you can mutually agree to terminate the lease (cash for keys, etc.).

I don't see the Utah market softening at all. Median days on the market is still only 5 days. I see things going back to somewhat normal though. New listing prices are going back to comps rather than comps + 50k or more.

User Stats

Votes
Logan McKay Zylstra
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Also, congrats on the duplex! Where is it?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Gilbert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Logan McKay Zylstra:

Also, congrats on the duplex! Where is it?

Thank you. Vernal. It’s my second one in Vernal and second one overall. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Jason Gilbert:
Quote from @Mike Gorius:

Yes I’ll be under contract tomorrow. I feel the market in Utah is softening so I am concerned I’m buying at the top of the market, so the lower rent makes me a bit nervous. The lease is in place until next March. 

Are you looking to buy and hold or flip it or what exactly? Like Logan said the market may soften (due to interest rates), but prices are not going down. Even if they do, they'll always come back up and eventually surpass what you bought them for. Don't use this as an excuse to buy a bad deal, but check out the below link.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Gilbert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Mike Gorius:
Quote from @Mike Gorius:

Are you looking to buy and hold or flip it or what exactly? Like Logan said the market may soften (due to interest rates), but prices are not going down. Even if they do, they'll always come back up and eventually surpass what you bought them for. Don't use this as an excuse to buy a bad deal, but check out the below link.

Hold. I have. Feeling like by the time I’m ready to retire, retirement will be a luxury, so I’m betting on real estate to help provide that freedom. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Gorius
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Mike Gorius:
Quote from @Mike Gorius:

Hold. I have. Feeling like by the time I’m ready to retire, retirement will be a luxury, so I’m betting on real estate to help provide that freedom. 

Same here, man. I keep finding more and more reasons to empty my 401K and buy cash-flowing assets with it. Been too chicken to pull the trigger yet, lol!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Forbush
  • Midvale, UT
Votes |
  • Midvale, UT
Replied

I'm new to investment myself. Currently only have passive investments in a few other states. I'm very interested in learning from you folks who are doing it. I'm grateful you posted this here and got this conversation going. 

May I ask how you funded your deal? I'm curious as I'm new. Only making smaller investments at the time but really looking forward to going bigger soon. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Gilbert
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Chris Forbush:

I'm new to investment myself. Currently only have passive investments in a few other states. I'm very interested in learning from you folks who are doing it. I'm grateful you posted this here and got this conversation going. 

May I ask how you funded your deal? I'm curious as I'm new. Only making smaller investments at the time but really looking forward to going bigger soon. 

ive been Financing using conventional 30 year loans. I’m not interested in house hacking with four small kids and I am not scrappy enough to find private lenders.