• Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Duplex for Section8 Rent

Drew Davis
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted May 19 2022, 05:16

I recently acquired a duplex in Nashville from my grandfather that has had the same tenants in one unit for nearly 12 years and has not ever asked for a rental increase through Section8.  I am looking to raise the rents and significantly since I have remodeled both units and obviously rent prices have drastically changed within the last decade lol. If anyone has any tips or information on the process of rent increases with Section 8 let me know!

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied May 19 2022, 07:31

There's a process you have to follow; miss the due date for rent increase application and you're done.  It is required at least 60 days prior to lease end.  (Check your Housing Office who issued the vouchers to confirm).  There's a form you complete that is in the Landlord Section of the Housing's webpage for submission.  You will be notified within days to a week on its approval.  I recommend that you start by going to the website and assessing the Section 8 Market Rents that are listed by zip code.  It will show you the top rent in that market.  You will most likely have the annual inspection at that time or shortly thereafter.  

Mark your calendar for 70 days prior to lease end so you don't miss the deadline.  Section 8 or not, this is always a good time frame to ask tenants of their intentions to renew, to advise of rent increases, and plan next steps as a result.

Hope this helps...

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied May 19 2022, 08:49

@Drew Davis I have to ask....any interest in selling your duplex?

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.