Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Duane Ward
  • Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Which tech works best?

Duane Ward
  • Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Posted

My wife and I are a few weeks away from closing on our first investment property. I have used various software in my other businesses with quick books self employed being the most recent one. I like many things about it, however to me, its better for overall money tracking not specifying details of multiple streams of income like various properties, etc. I'm wondering if there's a better one for this particular venture of real estate investment. One that I can do overall tracking, but it also allows me to break out the details if individual properties so I can track multiple rents, etc. One that I can track expenses from the various tenants, etc. Is my best bet to build my own that does everything I want it to or there one people generally use?

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied

Hey @Duane Ward! Congrats on getting close to the finish line, exciting for both you and your wife :) 

I've used Cozy which was recently bought by Apartments.com (their landlord software is free if you're just starting out and can also handle listing vacancies, collecting rents, etc.)

One mistake I learnt the hard way: in NYS you *cannot* require your tenant to pay you electronically. So if your tenant does not want to sign up for the auto rent debit offered via Apartments.com (or any other tool), then you'll have to stick with depositing paper checks. 

Good luck and congrats again, welcome officially to the world of REI.

User Stats

Votes
Mary Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied

@Duane Ward Congratulations on your first investment property! We've been using Innago from the start they have all the features to help us track our rental business, including income and expense info. I would recommend that you sign up for a few free softwares to see what would be a good fit for you and your rental business. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Smith
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Replied

@Duane Ward A similar question was asked on BP about a week ago.  Many replies, myself included, believe that Quickbooks is your best option.  Especially in your case, as you are already familiar with it.  When you have more than one property, you use classes for each separate property.  This allows you create per property P&L statements, and also an overall P&L that "rolls up" all your properties together.

While Quickbooks is more complicated than some other options, if somewhat forces you to understand basic accounting principles.  It is imperative that you understand basic accounting because accounting reports are the scoreboard of owning a business.  In my opinion, many entrepreneurs never learn accounting basics and only using accounting for tax purposes, which is a horrible mistake.