General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Gayle Eisner
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Votes |
To Wi Fi or Not To Wi Fi, that is the question?

Gayle Eisner
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Posted Jul 7 2022, 11:36

Hi all:

I own a little 1 br house ADU behind my house but it does not have Internet. I can not use my Internet connection back there...So I was wondering what others are doing? Most of my prospective tenants are 30-somethings and want privacy and wi-fi, preferably high-speed...So I have tried a little device that plugs into the wall outlet that is suppose to reach other connections...but it does not work to the house in back...any other suggestions. Right now, I tell prospective tenants to use their phone hotspot but I would like to offer more as I am getting some good applicants but no wi-fi is a big issue.

Also, I would like to add more storage.  Any suggestions? I could add a shed to the yard for access, but I was hoping for a less expensive option...... Thoughts?  Thanks in advance! Gayle in Monterey, CA

San Jose, California

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:00

@Gayle Eisner You can buy much more powerful routers on Amazon that will pick up your internet signal from your house and that can be used in the ADU.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Jul 7 2022, 13:33

@Gayle Eisner

Max segment length for cat 5e/6 is 328 ft.   Could you just run a direct bury line to the house in the back and have your tenants use a wireless router?