How much extra should you charge for a month to month lease?

How much extra should you charge for a month to month lease?

Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes

I have a mobile home that I'm renovating. Due to a large industrial project in the area, there is a need for short term housing for construction workers. I'm trying to decide whether I want to do a month to month furnished with all bills paid vs a typical long term lease. How much extra should I charge. Below are the details.

Regular long term lease $850, electricity $250, water $50, internet $75. How much extra should I add for the increased turnover and hassle of a month to month.

0Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
4y

@Craig Janet most of my tenants are MTM. My experience is the length of the lease has no bearing on how long a tenant stays.

If you intend to furnish and pay all utilities you will want to charge a whole lot more. Probably 1050/mo plus all the utilities. So 1050+375=1425 total. I'd break it out as rent + utilities, or it will sound like too much.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Craig Janet most of my tenants are MTM. My experience is the length of the lease has no bearing on how long a tenant stays.

    If you intend to furnish and pay all utilities you will want to charge a whole lot more. Probably 1050/mo plus all the utilities. So 1050+375=1425 total. I'd break it out as rent + utilities, or it will sound like too much.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    I don't charge anything extra. I don't offer the option to unknown tenants with unknown histories to me, and for those tenants that successfully conclude the only non-M2M lease I offer (one year, at the beginning of your tenancy), I transfer them to M2M without penalty. 

    I *want* M2M tenants. You can get rid of them easier and raise the rent easier. They can leave when they want to easier. It's really the best of all worlds for everyone. But I'm not going to do a M2M on a new tenant unless I have the place set up like a STR. So in your case, where you are talking about providing a STR, that's a different conversation and there's usually anywhere from a 50-200% markup or more compared to a LTR. IE if you can rent the place empty for $1k per month you shouldn't be getting less than $1500-2000k as a furnished, utilities-provided rental.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    The only way to decide is to run comps. What are the rates on furnished short(er) term rentals in the area? How much are you spending to furnish and what is the payoff period? Does the demand go away and you are back to LTR before you recouped your investment into furnishings?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    A lot of people miss out on a lot of money by not charging extra for monthly leases.

    I determine the rate for a one-year lease, then increase it 25% for a monthly lease. It's amazing how many people pay the higher rate and then stay for a year or longer. I have one tenant that paid the 25% increase because he was only going to be there for 2-3 months. He just finished his second year.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.