- Votes |
Tenant decided to relocate due to leaking in apartment
I'm a tenant whose apartment (HUD subsidized) unit has seen leakage of water (probably due to leaky pipe) on the floor from the wall in the living room due to rain. My property manager has asked me whether I would like to relocate into another unit in the same apartment or stay in the bedroom (not leaky) of the same unit. My property manager also said she needs to wait until it's not raining (weather forecast raining for at least another week starting tomorrow) in order for contractors to come to fix the leak and she's not sure how long it'll take. I'm very hesitant whether to move or not. I also have a small knee surgery coming up in 3 weeks. I've composed a list of pros and cons of moving vs not moving.
Pros of moving: a more habitable house and recovery of reasonable expenses for temporary payment (<60 days of relocation) and relocation payment of $10K for permanent relocation (>=60 days of relocation) (from city's website)
Cons of moving: moving hassle of furniture and belongings and may not be able to return to the same unit (I prefer the same unit because it's spacious)
Pros of not moving: less hassle of moving furniture and belongings and has a chance of staying in the same unit
Cons of not moving: leaky unit and chance of goods stolen if workers come in to fix the leak (can't think of any other cons)
What should I do? What do I need to ask my manager if I decided to move? What should I ask my manager if I decided not to move? Thank you.