Landlord Tenant Laws in New Jersey

Landlord Tenant Laws in New Jersey

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Good evening. I am a new investor and am looking to make an offer on my first rental in new jersey.  The unit is a triplex that are all currently occupied but the leases are below rental averages for the area. The current owner also covers all utilities.  I plan on renegotiating leases terms. I was curious if anyone has had experience dealing with landlord court in nj just in case it goes south. Does anyone here have experience investing in new jersey? I live in nyc and  have heard nightmare stories dealing with eviction process here.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Ben TrageserPro Member
Accountant · Montclair, NJ · Member since 2020 · 218 posts · 104 votes
3y

@David Yue I am a landlord in NJ and haven’t dealt with it personally but from my knowledge, it’s a huge pain. It also varies town by town. Some towns have rent control in place which only allows you to raise rent a certain percentage every year.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · McKinney, TX · Member since 2023 · 393 posts · 580 votes
    3y
  • Ben TrageserPro Member
    Accountant · Montclair, NJ · Member since 2020 · 218 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    @David Yue I am a landlord in NJ and haven’t dealt with it personally but from my knowledge, it’s a huge pain. It also varies town by town. Some towns have rent control in place which only allows you to raise rent a certain percentage every year.

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hi @David Yue Super important to know leases in place stay in place with new owner until lease expires.  Raise rents depends heavily on rent control laws for the town.  Experience with court is it is it tends to be best to handle outside of court in terms of speed and money saved.   I have investments throughout New Jersey and run and investing friendly team that specializing in small multi family properties, house hacking and live in flips.

    Regarding the landlord paying utilities, this can be a huge concern especially long term.  More than likely the entire property is on one  heating system.  You will more than likely want to upgrade so each unit has its own separate heat source.  It is a costly to do but long term pays for itself. 

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.