Shifting Pier & Beam - How To Handle With Tenants

Shifting Pier & Beam - How To Handle With Tenants

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 155 posts · 44 votes

Good morning!

All my Dallas residents are familiar with shifting ground and foundations.

I have a home in the Bishop Arts District on a pier and beam foundation, and this things shifts pretty good every year. Back and forth... Common practice with this nasty north Texas ground.

So far, I have addressed and taken action on everything that my tenants have brought up, and they are very happy with that.

However, they have mentioned the shifting house multiple times...I acknowledge it, but mention there is nothing I can do. I cannot repair this.. It returns to place when the ground receives rain in the winter months. I have personally lived in the house and know this as fact.

How would you / do you handle such a conversation with your tenants in this case?

Thanks,

Nick

0Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    If this is truly normal for houses in the area, then tell them that.  Explain what happens and why.  You could have a professional come out to look at it and also reassure them.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Why is it a problem, the actual shift is not noticeable when happening (most likely).

    Is it non closing doors, floor in the kitchen (for instance) sagging badly near the stove.

    Maybe get guy under there to shim up the low spots closer to level in some areas.

    Since you lived there it might have gone way out of wack in some places.

    They need to understand Texas has muck for soil in some places.

    Good Luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.