Cleveland Lead Paint Laws for Landlords

Cleveland Lead Paint Laws for Landlords

Realtor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.

2Reply
125 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Member since 2020 · 337 posts · 213 votes
2y

In short you hire a lead testing specialist. They'll swab different parts of the inside and outside, especially doors and wood windows. After, if the tests come back positive for lead, you'll need to get it remediated by scraping and re-painting. 

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 337 posts · 213 votes
    2y

    In short you hire a lead testing specialist. They'll swab different parts of the inside and outside, especially doors and wood windows. After, if the tests come back positive for lead, you'll need to get it remediated by scraping and re-painting. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.

     IGNORE THE INTERNET!! I have had about 300 lead inspections. NOT a big deal, Scrap and paint the windows or better yet just replace them. As I have mentioned about 100x EVERYONE should stay off the internet, and just connect and learn from those actually doing it. I am literally having a lead inspection today on a duplex, it will pass. It's just a way for the city to collect more money, total scam. Hey, heres an idea, tell your kids ds to stop picking at the paint and eating it ,then screaming lead posing and try getting a pay day.  Dig up the yard, let me guess and lead inspector posted that LOL, Total BS. Worse I have seen, dig up around the windows. All this can be avoided if you just paint the windows, and or replace them. 

    All the best 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Vadim F.:

    In short you hire a lead testing specialist. They'll swab different parts of the inside and outside, especially doors and wood windows. After, if the tests come back positive for lead, you'll need to get it remediated by scraping and re-painting. 


     Correct, its a none issue IF you do it right ,

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 337 posts · 213 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Vadim F.:

    In short you hire a lead testing specialist. They'll swab different parts of the inside and outside, especially doors and wood windows. After, if the tests come back positive for lead, you'll need to get it remediated by scraping and re-painting. 


     Correct, its a none issue IF you do it right ,


     Its made into a big deal when in reality its nothing major. Just need to make sure you have the right people to do it right.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Vadim F.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Vadim F.:

    In short you hire a lead testing specialist. They'll swab different parts of the inside and outside, especially doors and wood windows. After, if the tests come back positive for lead, you'll need to get it remediated by scraping and re-painting. 


     Correct, its a none issue IF you do it right ,


     Its made into a big deal when in reality its nothing major. Just need to make sure you have the right people to do it right.


     ITS A TOTAL SCAM!! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     I've seen lead remediation costs under $1k and I've also seen them above $40k. Having said that, the bigger jobs would usually include vinyl siding an entire house or duplex as well as replacing all of the windows.

    One thing to note, in the 100's of lead inspections and rehabs we've done in Cleveland, we've never seen or heard of anyone digging up a front yard. Now it's true that lead dust samples are taken from the ground, usually around windows, but putting top soil on top of the ground would be the route to go there.

  • Realtor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     I've seen lead remediation costs under $1k and I've also seen them above $40k. Having said that, the bigger jobs would usually include vinyl siding an entire house or duplex as well as replacing all of the windows.

    One thing to note, in the 100's of lead inspections and rehabs we've done in Cleveland, we've never seen or heard of anyone digging up a front yard. Now it's true that lead dust samples are taken from the ground, usually around windows, but putting top soil on top of the ground would be the route to go there.


    Thank you James. When you are considering properties in the area, how do you assess in advance if there is going to be a major issue with the remediation if you are moving quickly to jump on a deal? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     I've seen lead remediation costs under $1k and I've also seen them above $40k. Having said that, the bigger jobs would usually include vinyl siding an entire house or duplex as well as replacing all of the windows.

    One thing to note, in the 100's of lead inspections and rehabs we've done in Cleveland, we've never seen or heard of anyone digging up a front yard. Now it's true that lead dust samples are taken from the ground, usually around windows, but putting top soil on top of the ground would be the route to go there.


    Thank you James. When you are considering properties in the area, how do you assess in advance if there is going to be a major issue with the remediation if you are moving quickly to jump on a deal? 

     Experience.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 337 posts · 213 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     I've seen lead remediation costs under $1k and I've also seen them above $40k. Having said that, the bigger jobs would usually include vinyl siding an entire house or duplex as well as replacing all of the windows.

    One thing to note, in the 100's of lead inspections and rehabs we've done in Cleveland, we've never seen or heard of anyone digging up a front yard. Now it's true that lead dust samples are taken from the ground, usually around windows, but putting top soil on top of the ground would be the route to go there.


    Thank you James. When you are considering properties in the area, how do you assess in advance if there is going to be a major issue with the remediation if you are moving quickly to jump on a deal? 


     If you're looking in the Cleveland market, look for newer vinyl windows and vinyl siding. Also if the price of a property is low, there is a reason for it. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    My neighbor just had their 110 year old house sanded entirely down to the wood. I was wondering why the  neighborhood was running up and down the street in hysteria? If lawns have to be replaced, then the entire freeway system and adjoining green areas would have to be replaced. Lead was forever a gasoline additive. It's never too late I guess.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry T.:

    My neighbor just had their 110 year old house sanded entirely down to the wood. I was wondering why the  neighborhood was running up and down the street in hysteria? If lawns have to be replaced, then the entire freeway system and adjoining green areas would have to be replaced. Lead was forever a gasoline additive. It's never too late I guess.


     Much easier and " better" way, should have just sided it, 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     I've seen lead remediation costs under $1k and I've also seen them above $40k. Having said that, the bigger jobs would usually include vinyl siding an entire house or duplex as well as replacing all of the windows.

    One thing to note, in the 100's of lead inspections and rehabs we've done in Cleveland, we've never seen or heard of anyone digging up a front yard. Now it's true that lead dust samples are taken from the ground, usually around windows, but putting top soil on top of the ground would be the route to go there.


    Thank you James. When you are considering properties in the area, how do you assess in advance if there is going to be a major issue with the remediation if you are moving quickly to jump on a deal? 


     Experience are way overthinking this. Its a none issues IF your team knows what they are doing . 

    We just did 250 lead inspections and passed every one of them 1st time, 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     I've seen lead remediation costs under $1k and I've also seen them above $40k. Having said that, the bigger jobs would usually include vinyl siding an entire house or duplex as well as replacing all of the windows.

    One thing to note, in the 100's of lead inspections and rehabs we've done in Cleveland, we've never seen or heard of anyone digging up a front yard. Now it's true that lead dust samples are taken from the ground, usually around windows, but putting top soil on top of the ground would be the route to go there.


  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    Hi James, do you have a company that is lead certified to do repairs and testing in Cleveland? I've been looking for someone for awhile now.  Also does a house in Cleveland have to have its lead safe certificate to sell it  ? Any help is appreciated. Thank you 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lesa Simonyi:

    Hi James, do you have a company that is lead certified to do repairs and testing in Cleveland? I've been looking for someone for awhile now.  Also does a house in Cleveland have to have its lead safe certificate to sell it  ? Any help is appreciated. Thank you 


     We past about 350 over the last 14 months or so, 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lesa Simonyi:

    Hi James, do you have a company that is lead certified to do repairs and testing in Cleveland? I've been looking for someone for awhile now.  Also does a house in Cleveland have to have its lead safe certificate to sell it  ? Any help is appreciated. Thank you 


     You do not have to get a house lead certified to sell it. You do need to disclose the lead status when you sell it though. Yes we do 100's of lead certification jobs every year.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     Its nothing, total scam. Just make sure there is no flacking paint. If the windows are bad just replace them . 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pamela Williams:

    Hi there. Can someone please explain briefly how the Lead Safe Certification in Cleveland is impacting landlords? I am finding plenty of information online about the program but nothing explaining how it is directly impacting buyers looking to buy and hold property in the city. I have seen a few scary things like "you need to dig up the entire front yard" in other groups but I'd like to hear from people that are actively investing in the city, and meeting the new standards, as to what their experience has been. TIA.


     Hi so how many props did you pick up and how's it going ? The Led paint thing ( scam) is nothing, just do the reno properly 

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y

    Even if you aren't renovating all that is required to pass a lead test is cleanliness. Run a Clorox wipe over the windowsills and mop the floor. It'll pass. 

    Of course in old properties you should always immediately address any chipping or peeling paint. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 133 votes
    2y
    Excellent info on this thread!  I agree with the local experts, it's not usually a big deal, but I've seen some pretty high estimates, but normally they're $500-2k jobs at most and they shouldn't hold up the deal, like James said, but the buyer will have to assume the violations if the seller is not fixing them before hand.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

    Even if you aren't renovating all that is required to pass a lead test is cleanliness. Run a Clorox wipe over the windowsills and mop the floor. It'll pass. 

    Of course in old properties you should always immediately address any chipping or peeling paint. 


     Not always, they go pretty deep on these. For example, they do soil tests around the house.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.