Cleaning cooking grease off of the wall behind the stove?

19 Replies

Cleaning cooking greese off of the wall behind the stove? Any ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks

Jeff

Try oven cleaner. or magic eraser. or just kills and paint. or put a metal plate like the restaurants have.. what have u tried so far?

I was going to try "scubbing bubbles".

Definitely use that magic eraser baby, things work wonders. Some sort of grease related cleaner and the ME should work fine.

be prepared for some of that stuff taking the paint and drywall paper off though...

Ok guys, here are many years worth of scrubbing experience reduced to one product that hardly requires more than a swipe to remove grease leaving all the paint on the walls. I haven't used it on flat paint.

Orange Sol... Citrus cleaner degreaser concentrate. and

Orange Sol... Multi use solvent.

I use industrial strength for huge jobs like the stove and the degreaser for the wall behind it. I spray it on let it sit for a minute or two and wipe. I may have to do this twice or let it sit longer than a couple minutes. Then wipe it away. Use a clean cloth/paper towel for each wipe and the job is done. Smells good too.

I had a stove, in a rental, that I put at the end of the driveway to recycle. It was the most filthy appliance I had ever seen. I didn't want to touch it. A friend turned me on to Orange Sol and my Mom, a thrifting recycler, said she would give it a try and did she ever. That stove looked bran new in less than an hour. That may make the job not sound so bad but it was, I have pictures! It was unbelievable! The stove was returned to the house as the best and shiniest appliance with a wall behind it just as good. I use this cleaner for everything!

The engineer's I worked with used a product called Citrus Clean in ship engine rooms for cleaning greasy things, so I imagine that is similar to Orange Sol. My wife uses simple green on a lot of things including grease.

I have used a product called Mean Green Degreaser, spray it on the area, wait a few minutes and wipes clean, I buy it from Family Dollar.

Clean, dull and dry is always the formula before you paint a surface. There is a product called liquid sandpaper, but dont use it as it has a very quick window to when it needs to be repainted. Just use liquid TSP. You can find it in the big box stores and is better than the powder version.

@Gerald K.

The engineer's I worked with used a product called Citrus Clean in ship engine rooms for cleaning greasy things, so I imagine that is similar to Orange Sol.

Gerald, I had to double check to see if you were from my town because I worked on military ships and submarines. Orange Sol by the pallet. My friend who introduced it to me was the hazmat guy. He recently retired. A+ for ship cleaning products.

Originally posted by @Lisa Miller :
I had a stove, in a rental, that I put at the end of the driveway to recycle. It was the most filthy appliance I had ever seen. I didn't want to touch it. A friend turned me on to Orange Sol and my Mom, a thrifting recycler, said she would give it a try and did she ever. That stove looked bran new in less than an hour. That may make the job not sound so bad but it was, I have pictures! It was unbelievable! The stove was returned to the house as the best and shiniest appliance with a wall behind it just as good. I use this cleaner for everything!

Can you post the pictures?

I have also used an industrial strength degreaser and that stuff works wonders. Even removes nicotine stains from walls.

Any degreaser product should work. We usually buy gallons of the Zep citrus degreaser from Home Depot to clean up after our tenants and have always been able to use that to get the stoves and surrounding areas cleaned back up. After that I'd hit it with oil based Kilz and repaint.

@Ryan M.

Check with your local hardware store or http://www.orange-sol.com/

They have a zip code locator and a phone # listed.

@Dawn Anastasi

Gable house stove is the one that was curbed and revived. I have the before pic and a bunch of pics of my mom's butt cleaning it. However none of the gleaming jewel. I will take that pic later this week and post it. Attached below are some others not curb worthy but awful filthy stoves I've tackled with Orange Sol. I put six pics on a power point page and saved it as a jpeg. Don't know if it will post big enough or if you can increase the size. Gable stove is on the power point and I'll attach it separately. :) It said both uploaded 100% but I don't see them... If they don't pop up we can do it via email.

Don't know what my cleaning person uses but she charges $15 per hour and the place shines when she is done.

TSP (the real stuff-banned in some states) works. Dawn Dish Soap does too.

Nothing ruins a budding landlord dream faster than cleaning up after nasty tenants. Hire it out. Charge the work against the Security Deposit and go look at some other property to buy while someone else is doing the nasty work.

The cheapest solution: $5. Go to the 99 cent store and buy a bottle of pure ammonia, a pack of disposable gloves, some sponges, some rags and the knock off brand of magic erasers. Apply the ammonia with a sponge first first. Saturate the wall as much as you can and wait a few minutes. Wipe with a damp rag. If that doesn't get it all, move on to the magic eraser. Magic erasers will abrade paint finish, so it works fine on flat paint, but be careful with enamel through high gloss finishes as you may make dull spots. When finished wipe the wall with water and then dry. Don't leave ammonia to drip or eat at your paint.

Thanks @Dawn Anastasi for posting my stoves! Hope you all never have such nasty work ahead of you or filthy tenants, they were evicted. The Gable stove was curbed and revived by my mother and orange sol, industrial strength.

Thanks Dawn for your help posting the pics!

Hi Jeff, I would suggest using paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean the grease off the wall. You might consider painting the wall with a semi gloss paint it is washable and would make any future cleaning easy.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.