Refund of Deposit (Texas)

4 Replies

My last tenant left my house in need of paint that (in my opinion) goes beyond normal wear-and-tear.

If I do the painting myself, what charges are reasonable for my time? Can I charge the tenant what a professional painter bid on the job?

I'm not sure about rules in Texas, but we charge the true cost of paint and supplies, plus $20/hour for our time. We keep a log of which day, which person, and what was done. We keep before and after photos.

We try to prepare tenants for the standard of care and cost; best not to have the rate be a surprise. At move in we discuss that paint jobs should not need to be done with under 3 years of tenancy. And when they give notice we let them know our cleaning and repair rate so they are motivated to do it themselves.

Our rates are a little below market price.

The problem with bids is that the judge may throw it out if you didn't proceed with that solution, but I'm not sure.

I totally agree with Michele!

I have written in my lease the base hourly rate for repairs (excluding licensed trades) . The minimum rate for labor is $ 85.00 per man hour excluding materials . This may seem high to some but in the Central Maryland area this is the general hourly rate of home improvement contractors . I put this in the lease so the tenants know this from the beginning .

In most jurisdictions, you can not charge for Your time, only what you pay out.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here