Tenants wants to Breed Golden Retrievers

15 Replies

Hi guys,

So, my tenant wants to Breed Golden Retrievers.

A little background, my tenant has been in my property for a year now and wants to do another year lease. He has paid on time every month. While he's not the cleanness tenant I've had, I'm sure it's OK to most people standards. Issues I had with him is I had to tell him 4 times to clean up the oil leak / spill from his car on my driveway, and had to write him an official complaint. He's not the greatest as far as communication goes, I feel that he sometimes ignores my calls / text, so I just give him a 24 hour notice to swing by the property. My tenant is a mechanical and of course repairs cars at home, and has a bunch of car parts in the garage. Also stores a boat and trailer on the driveway.

My property is a single story, 1200sqft (3 bed, 2 bath) house in a working class neighborhood, he and his wife with 2 kids (10, 12 years old) and he already has one Golden Retriever that I approved ($300 Pet fee). He is now asking if he could have another one to breed them. The rent for this property is below market, he's paying $1000 a month, where other properties are asking $1050 to $1100 and nearby 3 bedroom apartments are asking $900's. The rental market is a bit slow right now, so I don't want to raise the rent and risk him moving out.

I know that when my tenants leave, I will have to replace the floor the entire house as when I purchase the property, the carpet was already worn, and the paint is plain white, but I

I don't know anything about breeding dogs, but would you allow this tenant to do so? I'm wondering how crowded the house would be, and the smell, but since I'm replacing the floors, it might not matter.

if you consider this make sure he has insurance with you and your company as additional insured. .

Well, since you have to replace the floors already anyway, perhaps let it happen. The puppies will be there for several weeks before sold. The female will be in heat sometimes, and therefore bleeding a bit all over the house unless they make her wear a "diaper", which they may not from the sounds of their cleanliness level.

But if you say no, do you have a feeling he'll do it anyway? He could always breed with someone else Golden and get paid for the breeding... unless the dog does not have papers...he's trying to make money off selling the actual puppies.

If he works on cars, I'm surprised you haven't seen evidence of him working on car parts inside the house.

I personally do not allow un-altered pets in the first place. He should have been neutered already before the initial move in...something to think about for future pet owners as your renters.

You will have 8-10 golden retrievers in Your house. The only ones leaving are the ones they can sell.

I'm out.

Check local ordinances. Breeding dogs is sometimes considered a kennel operation and regulated so you might be able to use that and blame the government. Personally my lease and pet addendum/rules prohibit breeding. They know that going in. My only approved pets must be spayed or neutered and must be older than 1 year. May want to add that is it sort of heads off this question at the pass.

Based on the past communication from this tenant, they may already have the other dog.

In your shoes, you might consider pet rent. Seems like they might be eyeing the breeding as a way to generate revenue. Doesn't usually go that way as it's hard to compete with the puppy mills and mall pet stores. My pet rent is $25 per pet. You could set that aside for your floor repair/replacement. The real downside of puppies is they chew, claw, dig, and are generally destructive. On the plus side, I do like the breed as they are generally mild mannered and good natured.

Add a pet registration fee ($150 per) and pet rent ($25 per pet per month) to your lease and make it retroactive to the beginning of the lease if you find a pet that they failed to disclose.

Tell them to stop making money off the backs of animals and get a real job, then deny them.

Oh dear. People get these ideas about what they can sell a purebred puppy for, and off they go... Unfortunately, there's a world of difference between a legit breeding operation that really understands breed standards and genetics and the "let's get our dogs together and make puppie$" school. They'll end up selling (or trying to sell) these poor pups on Craigslist for a fraction of what they thought they'd make, and more adoptable dogs at the pound will get euthanized.

Spot on, @Jean Bolger . As if we don't have enough animals needing homes in this world already.

Zoning laws probably prohibit that. Also, many states have enacted laws against puppy mills.

In addition, you have already allowed them to turn their home into a car repair shop and storage area, devaluing the neighborhood, so now you think you should encourage barking dogs too?

I'm sure the neighbors all love that you own that property.

I have 2 golden retrievers. They only go inside during extreme weather. That amount of damage they have done to the backyard has convinced me to never have 2 large dogs again. They are well behaved, great with kids, bark at strangers...but sometimes they get bored and decide they want to eat all the shrubs or lawn furniture or the kid's slide or the fence or the siding- or try to dig a hole to China.

I can't imagine what they'd do if we left them inside all day- let alone puppies!

I like Bill's idea - but for me, absolutely not. Ask yourself this - would you buy a puppy from these people? Probably not...that means a tenant with multiple dogs in your house. I'd send him a notice certified mail informing him that there are more than enough dogs in the world and that you don't wish to permit this in your property. He's likely to do it anyway from the sounds of it. Give most tenants and inch and they will take a mile. Where in Arizona is this? Phoenix?

@Shawn Thom I generally totally agree with that and I would assume that kind of behavior of most tenant's dogs. To be fair though, if your dogs are outside most of the time, they are spending a lot of time alone, and therefore are bored and causing the "destruction".

Dogs are intelligent creatures that need to be engaged in some kind of work and constant training and interaction with people to be nondestructive. Bored dogs also tend to jump fences and escape. Dogs that spend most of their lives outside tend to have the behaviors you described for the very reason of being outside in a yard most of their lives.

I have a 55lb Pit who spends most of her time indoors with us. When we're gone, she has free run of our finished basement, and sometimes the main living room. She causes zero damage...well, except the time she decided one of the cat's toys was hers. She's very engaged with us, although I know this is also a personality thing and each dog does have its own personality. I'm just bringing the other side of things to the table. :-)

From a landlord's standpoint, I would say no way. Even the best dogs cause some damage and now you'll have a litter of puppies to boot.

From a moral standpoint, I've always thought of dog breeders as being like a Dr. Frankenstein. Why are you intentionally putting more dogs on the planet when there's so many animals that need a home? I got my dog from a rescue and there were hundreds of dogs on their website available. I wonder how many had to be put down when there was no home for them......

Originally posted by @Jean Bolger :
Oh dear. People get these ideas about what they can sell a purebred puppy for, and off they go... Unfortunately, there's a world of difference between a legit breeding operation that really understands breed standards and genetics and the "let's get our dogs together and make puppie$" school. They'll end up selling (or trying to sell) these poor pups on Craigslist for a fraction of what they thought they'd make, and more adoptable dogs at the pound will get euthanized.

Yah I doubt they are registered breeders providing genetic profiles etc but rather someone who thinks they can sell some puppies on craigslist (as if there aren't enough dogs in rescues with no home already).

Personally NO WAY!!!!!!!!! It sounds that they are "okay" tenants at best. Pay their rent but there is no way I would trust them to leave the house in good condition. I would tell them that it violates my insurance or something! Personally I would not want that much liability both in what they could do to my house or what they could do to others.

Originally posted by @Shawn Thom :
I have 2 golden retrievers. They only go inside during extreme weather. That amount of damage they have done to the backyard has convinced me to never have 2 large dogs again. They are well behaved, great with kids, bark at strangers...but sometimes they get bored and decide they want to eat all the shrubs or lawn furniture or the kid's slide or the fence or the siding- or try to dig a hole to China.

I can't imagine what they'd do if we left them inside all day- let alone puppies!

A lot less damage because you'd be forced to pay attension to them and teach them rules and boundries.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here