How do you deal with tenants losing keys?

How do you deal with tenants losing keys?

Finger Lakes NY · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I have a friend who owns a few rooming houses and occasionally has a tenant lose their key and lock themselves out. He self manages, so he usually ends up delivering a spare key which is a huge time suck. How do other property owners or managers handle these situations? 

0Reply
186 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Yeah, constantly driving over to let someone in gets old fast—especially if it's late at night or happens often. A lot of landlords and managers handle lockouts with a mix of prevention and systems that don’t require them to be there in person.

Some of the common ways people deal with it:

They install smart locks or keypad entry systems, which are a game changer. You can generate codes for each tenant or just reset them remotely if needed. Some locks even let you track when someone enters. It’s a little upfront investment, but saves so much time and hassle.

Others just keep a lockbox on-site (like the realtor-style ones) with a spare key inside, and only give the code to tenants in case of emergency. You just have to make sure it’s secure and not super obvious.

Some landlords also charge a lockout fee—$50, $100, whatever—to discourage carelessness and make it worth the trip if they do have to show up. If your friend doesn’t want to be the one doing it, they can even pay a handyman or local locksmith to handle those calls for a fee.

It just depends how hands-on your friend wants to be. But in general, tech + boundaries = less stress.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Regina, SK · Member since 2025 · 54 posts · 42 votes
    1y

    I put in my lease agreement that it's a $150 "lock out" fee if I have to come let the tenants in for any reason, plus the cost of new keys if I need to replace them.  Paid up front before I let them back into the unit.  If they don't like it they can jump through the hoops of calling a locksmith on their own.

  • Finger Lakes NY · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    @Chris Chisholm that's a good idea. The biggest issue my friend has is that he inherited most of these tenants when he bought the properties and there were no leases in place. Also, a lot of them are simply full grown children. (Entitled)

    • Theresa HarrisPro Member
      Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Tim Horning:

      @Chris Chisholm that's a good idea. The biggest issue my friend has is that he inherited most of these tenants when he bought the properties and there were no leases in place. Also, a lot of them are simply full grown children. (Entitled)


       Nothing stopping your friend from implementing leases now.  I'd treat them the same as if I lost my keys-pay to have someone let you in.  I'd charge them $50 each time and if it is a front door key, then they pay to have the house rekeyed.

    • Investor · Regina, SK · Member since 2025 · 54 posts · 42 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Tim Horning:

      @Chris Chisholm that's a good idea. The biggest issue my friend has is that he inherited most of these tenants when he bought the properties and there were no leases in place. Also, a lot of them are simply full grown children. (Entitled)


      What’s stopping him from setting up new leases with the tenants?  Not sure about your local laws and regulations but if they are not in a lease, with sufficient notice you should be able to get them in a lease at some point noting the changes in policy.  “I’m looking to standardize things across all my properties and make sure we are on the same page with processes/policies, so I’d like to get you in the same consistent lease agreement as the rest…”

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    I’d recommend a smart lock. They’re pricy up front, I go with the schlage encode smart lock for all my properties, but they’re worth it as you can change lock codes remotely when tenants move out (so no rekeying) and the only way a tenant can lock themselves out is if they forget their code. Highly recommend. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    1y
  • Rental Property Investor · Medford, OR · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 115 votes
    1y

    This has happened to my husband and I with our tenants.  If the tenant is locked out because they lost the key and they're in a tough spot, the tenant can call a locksmith and pay for the cost to make a new key.  If they just lost a key and need a new one, I would just make them a new one and not charge them as an act of good faith.  Kindness goes a long way :) 

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tim Horning:

    I have a friend who owns a few rooming houses and occasionally has a tenant lose their key and lock themselves out. He self manages, so he usually ends up delivering a spare key which is a huge time suck. How do other property owners or managers handle these situations? 


    Just switch the lock to a keyless lock and he'd be golden. 
  • Finger Lakes NY · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    @Alex Suarez l like the idea of a smart lock. How long do the batteries last?

    @Theresa Harris, @Chris Chisholm l agree he should get everyone on leases. Not sure why he hasn't, but he's the type that wings it, learns on the fly, and usually gets more done than the average guy. Lol!

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tim Horning:

    I have a friend who owns a few rooming houses and occasionally has a tenant lose their key and lock themselves out. He self manages, so he usually ends up delivering a spare key which is a huge time suck. How do other property owners or managers handle these situations? 


     we have it in hte lease that a replacement key cost X (and its not cheap), and if they are locked out they will need to call a locksmith and pay for it and any replacement cost.

    Depending on the property might also want to go with a smartlock where everyone has a different code.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tim Horning:

    I have a friend who owns a few rooming houses and occasionally has a tenant lose their key and lock themselves out. He self manages, so he usually ends up delivering a spare key which is a huge time suck. How do other property owners or managers handle these situations? 

    1. Install an electronic lock. Nothing fancy. Schlage has a programmable doorknob with a key backup for under $120, easy to install and program.

    2. Add a lock-out fee. If they lock themselves out, they can call the landlord to bring a spare key for $XX or they can call a locksmith. I charge less than a locksmith, and I'm much faster.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Finger Lakes NY · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thanks to all of you for the solid advice! I am rehabbing my first investment property, a 3-unit, and will use electronic locks to avoid that issue.

    @Nathan Gesner Thanks for your reply! I just read your book, The DIY Landlord,  and can highly recommend. 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Yeah, constantly driving over to let someone in gets old fast—especially if it's late at night or happens often. A lot of landlords and managers handle lockouts with a mix of prevention and systems that don’t require them to be there in person.

    Some of the common ways people deal with it:

    They install smart locks or keypad entry systems, which are a game changer. You can generate codes for each tenant or just reset them remotely if needed. Some locks even let you track when someone enters. It’s a little upfront investment, but saves so much time and hassle.

    Others just keep a lockbox on-site (like the realtor-style ones) with a spare key inside, and only give the code to tenants in case of emergency. You just have to make sure it’s secure and not super obvious.

    Some landlords also charge a lockout fee—$50, $100, whatever—to discourage carelessness and make it worth the trip if they do have to show up. If your friend doesn’t want to be the one doing it, they can even pay a handyman or local locksmith to handle those calls for a fee.

    It just depends how hands-on your friend wants to be. But in general, tech + boundaries = less stress.

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    1y

    If switching to a keypad isn't feasible for you, be sure to implement lockout fees and charge for key replacements!

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I'm bearish on using technology for this kind of stuff - especially for a rooming house, which sounds like workforce housing.

    Here's what I have in my lease as a self manager in Upstate NY:

    17. LOCKS: If you find it necessary to have us unlock the Rental Unit you will be charged a fee of $75.00, payable as Additional Rent, within 7 days from the lockout service. If we are unavailable to assist with a lockout, a licensed and bonded locksmith should be called at your expense. A lost key can be replaced at a cost of $12.00. You may not change or add to the locks of the Rental Unit at any time. Lock changes shall be made only by us. You may make copies of your key at your discretion. You may request that your unit be re-keyed by us via appointment for a fee of $50.00, payable as Additional Rent.

    If I am nearby, I will swing by and charge for the lockout.  If I am not, they will have to call a locksmith.  I should probably update the prices a bit to align with the inflationary environment in recent years.

    Regarding the lease, give them proper legal notice and present them with a lease.  If they do not sign, issue proper notice to terminate.  Have an attorney ready, as these kind of tenants will dig in, and evicting for anything other than non-payment is not for the faint of heart in the Socialist Republic of New York.

    • Theresa HarrisPro Member
      Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Wesley W.:

      I'm bearish on using technology for this kind of stuff - especially for a rooming house, which sounds like workforce housing.

      Here's what I have in my lease as a self manager in Upstate NY:

      17. LOCKS: If you find it necessary to have us unlock the Rental Unit you will be charged a fee of $75.00, payable as Additional Rent, within 7 days from the lockout service. If we are unavailable to assist with a lockout, a licensed and bonded locksmith should be called at your expense. A lost key can be replaced at a cost of $12.00. You may not change or add to the locks of the Rental Unit at any time. Lock changes shall be made only by us. You may make copies of your key at your discretion. You may request that your unit be re-keyed by us via appointment for a fee of $50.00, payable as Additional Rent.

      If I am nearby, I will swing by and charge for the lockout.  If I am not, they will have to call a locksmith.  I should probably update the prices a bit to align with the inflationary environment in recent years.

      Regarding the lease, give them proper legal notice and present them with a lease.  If they do not sign, issue proper notice to terminate.  Have an attorney ready, as these kind of tenants will dig in, and evicting for anything other than non-payment is not for the faint of heart in the Socialist Republic of New York.


       I'm curious-why$50 for re-key vs $75 for lock out?  It is because one is done at a time that works for you and the other is more like an 'emergency' call?  Nice wording.

    • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Theresa Harris:
      Quote from @Wesley W.:

      I'm bearish on using technology for this kind of stuff - especially for a rooming house, which sounds like workforce housing.

      Here's what I have in my lease as a self manager in Upstate NY:

      17. LOCKS: If you find it necessary to have us unlock the Rental Unit you will be charged a fee of $75.00, payable as Additional Rent, within 7 days from the lockout service. If we are unavailable to assist with a lockout, a licensed and bonded locksmith should be called at your expense. A lost key can be replaced at a cost of $12.00. You may not change or add to the locks of the Rental Unit at any time. Lock changes shall be made only by us. You may make copies of your key at your discretion. You may request that your unit be re-keyed by us via appointment for a fee of $50.00, payable as Additional Rent.

      If I am nearby, I will swing by and charge for the lockout.  If I am not, they will have to call a locksmith.  I should probably update the prices a bit to align with the inflationary environment in recent years.

      Regarding the lease, give them proper legal notice and present them with a lease.  If they do not sign, issue proper notice to terminate.  Have an attorney ready, as these kind of tenants will dig in, and evicting for anything other than non-payment is not for the faint of heart in the Socialist Republic of New York.


       I'm curious-why$50 for re-key vs $75 for lock out?  It is because one is done at a time that works for you and the other is more like an 'emergency' call?  Nice wording.


       Yes, exactly right.  It must be said that since I've had this policy, no one has called for a lockout. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.