Need Advice- starting property management

2 Replies

So I have been thinking about working as a property manager a ways down the road. My question is, for a college student what job should I look for that will put me on that career path? Leasing agent or assistant? Part time assistant property manager(not sure if I would be able to do this in college)? How did you guys get into professional property management? Thank you for the advice.

@James Cheatham i learned a lot about PM while i was managing college apartments. not only did they pay me (not a lot) but my housing was included…a big bonus as a student.

i'd suggest calling around to the apt complexes near campus and inquire about any jobs they have. any position would give you a vantage point. also, i was also an RA as an undergrad … never knew it at the time, but what i learned in that position really helps me out with the people side of property management.

Kevin Young, Central Pacific Communities, LLC | http://kevinpaulyoung.com

Also make sure you check into if their are any licensing requirements. I'm guessing Texas is much more reasonable than Michigan, where you need to be a licensed realtor and have had your license for a certain number of years before you can manage property.

Good luck to you! A good property manager who actually looks out for the owners profit, etc is worth his/her weight in GOLD!