Apartment.com rent payment reversal?
Has anyone had issues with apartment.com reversing rent payment for the reason of tenant dispute? I have used the site for my tenant rent payments for the last 3years without issue. However, in March they reversed a rent payment of a tenant. About a week after it was deposited into my account, they withdrew the rent amount and said the tenant disputed the charge. They did this without first checking with me and when I called them the representative told me there was nothing they could do because the tenant made the dispute with her bank and there was concern for fraud so they had to return the money. My bank also said they allowed it because it was reported to them as fraud. I reached out to the tenant and she responded that she was confused and that it must have been an issue with her bank and said she would follow up on it. ( side note, this has been a trouble tenant who has lied quite a bit since she moved in last July but her payments were always on time and without issue until March) After about a week I followed up with her and she apologized and said it was an issue with her bank and she sent me zelle for the rent payment.
In April she failed to pay rent and then stopped responding to my texts and emails. She also failed to pay rent in May. At the end of May I took her to rent court and she reached out to me the night before the court date and made payment for April and May on the morning of the court case and before the case was called. She then promised she would move out within In 3 wks (that is next week at this point). Then yesterday I got a phone call and email message from apartment.com saying that the tenant had disputed all of her rent payments and that they had returned all of her payments because her bank disputed it and they had no say in the matter. Now they are asking me to pay them back the money they supposedly returned to her. I’m so confused about why they would return 10months worth of rent payments including the security deposit paid, without any investigation to verify the fraud claim. Has anyone else experienced this?