I am a new real estate investor, I have two properties. Both tenants have their lease up and I gave them new leases. Tenant A received the lease and did not pay or acknowledge she is going to sign. Tenant A has been a problem with not paying in the past, I went to the eviction office today and filed an eviction for Tenant A. I just bought another property for a house hack and gave lease agreements to all the tenants.
This one tenant is giving me some serious problems (tenant B). Tenant B is on Month to Month with the original seller, I gave Tenant B the lease agreement for month to month, I signed it and was waiting for her signature. Tenant B signed it but added an additional clause. The contract is now void. I am going to give tenant B a 30 day notice. I may have to file for eviction.
My question: Even with eviction notice or 30 day notice, does the tenants have to pay for rent? If they do not, how would I get the rent from them? What would be the next step?
Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
Ok, so you are new to the business. Please understand that this response is meant to help, not criticize.
Tenant A did not sign or acknowledge. The original lease should have had a provision to convert to month-to-month if a new lease is not signed. If the tenant didn't sign the new lease, you can decide to keep them on a month-to-month, or terminate the tenancy.
Tenant B changed the lease: NEVER sign a lease you are preparing BEFORE the tenant signs? They played you with whatever clause they added. Don't do that again.
The rent is due and is supposed to be paid. You can add that amount to the documents you file at the L/T court. Who knows, maybe you'll collect some of that rent after you file the judgment against the tenant(s).
Want to avoid this type of situation again? Learn and understand your state's landlord/tenant laws. That knowledge is a stress reliever and a soft pillow for good rest.