Restricting Vehicles When Street Parking is Legal

Restricting Vehicles When Street Parking is Legal

Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes

I reached the lease signing stage with potential tenants, but we hit a snag regarding the three-vehicle restriction.

They own a construction company and currently keep all their vehicles at home. This amounts to six automobiles, likely trucks, along with several utility trailers in addition. The tenants agreed to park no more than three vehicles in the driveway, while the rest would be parked on the street. They are fully aware that parking on the grass is illegal, both according to city regulations and the lease terms.

To be thorough, I contacted the city to confirm if there were any rules limiting the number of vehicles someone could park on the street. The city confirmed that there are no such restrictions.

Now, I’m trying to decide whether to move forward with the lease, knowing that their vehicles will be parked up and down the street in a quiet neighborhood. There's nothing illegal about their plan, and honestly, I’m fortunate they were upfront about the number of vehicles. They could have just signed the lease, limited themselves to three vehicles in the driveway, and stayed compliant without saying anything.

If the property hadn’t been vacant for over two months, I’d probably pass on this situation. But they meet every other qualification for the lease, so I’m really torn on what to do.

Who's got the right answer here?!? 

1Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y

They sound like stand up tenants. Like you said they didn’t have to say anything. Is the area so small that 3 vehicles will really screw up the area? If it’s crowded they’re the ones that will have to park farther away and walk. 

I’d just remind the tenants that if the city changes their policy they’ll have to park farther away or find another solution and keep only 3 on your property. I don’t see a “you” problem. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    I'm glad you asked the question. You'll want to be a good neighbor and unless everything in the area is rentals, homeowners will not like these vehicles. But, since the city has said there is no restriction, sounds like you can do it. If you plan to move forward, have your attorney write a clause in your lease which allows you to terminate the lease if the landlord reasonably believes that the vehicles are a nuisance. 
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    They sound like stand up tenants. Like you said they didn’t have to say anything. Is the area so small that 3 vehicles will really screw up the area? If it’s crowded they’re the ones that will have to park farther away and walk. 

    I’d just remind the tenants that if the city changes their policy they’ll have to park farther away or find another solution and keep only 3 on your property. I don’t see a “you” problem. 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    You should be good, the city has told you that you have the green light on this and inform the tenants that any complaints from the neighbors will be passed along to them and not taken lightly. This should not be a problem due to the smaller amount of cars; if it was 10 cars or something crazy like that then this would be a different conversations about keeping the street parking low for that area. Keep your lease tight by addressing all this as you have and you should be good. 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    six trucks and several utility trailers. Nope. Hard pass. I would not do that to any neighbor or allow this activity on my property or basic residential home. among other red flags. Your neighbors are gonna hate you real fast.

  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    1y

    Are you sure there are no restrictions on commericial vehicles?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.