Tax Assessment Challenge

8 Replies

Hello BP,

I need a tax re-assessment badly. Has anyone from Clark County or Vancouver Washington succeeded in challenging the assessment? Going to ask my Realtor for help on comps. Thank you for your time.

Joe

Just remember, those comps need to be arms length deals, no shorts or foreclosures. And it deosn't amtter what your neighbors are paying.

Hello Joe. I'm from your city and state. We challenged the tax assessment on a couple of our properties. My husband spent quite a bit of time going through hoops and waiting. In the end, the tax was upheld. No break for us. When the economy sunk, the county upped the millage to maintain the same tax base. When the economy improved and valuations rose, they kept the new millage rate and so now we are paying more than we did before. I'll ask my husband what he thinks and get back to you.

I am currently appealing on a rental in Gwinnett County. In Georgia, all sales count. REO and Shorts count as much as an arms length transaction. This is not well known but it has been established by court precedent.

@Marcia Maynard ,

Did you challenge the tax assessment on your rental property or your primary residence? I would be interested to hear what your husband listed for the "specific reasons why you believe the assessor's value does not reflect the true and fair market value." I was going to use my purchase appraisal from 2013 but might just use more recent comps from my area.

Originally posted by @Mike Salisbury :
I am currently appealing on a rental in Gwinnett County. In Georgia, all sales count. REO and Shorts count as much as an arms length transaction. This is not well known but it has been established by court precedent.

That sounds crazy, there's all sorts of other non-market transfers, do they count too? what about $1 deals?

@Joe Mercer It was rental property. May take awhile for my husband to answer as he's working on a cruise ship - piano bar entertainer - in the Mediterranean right now. Next time he checks in I will ask him for more details. Meanwhile, I've got my hands full taking care of our little rental property empire here. :-)

I have had the same experiences as @Mike Salisbury with regard to appealing values in the state of Georgia. I am not sure about other states, but we can appeal based on several factors. The one I have used most often is "Uniformity of Assessment" which is defined as "values are the same within the same class of property".

oh, this topic gets my blood boiling...

i reviewed it with a lawyer that deals with just tax assessments. he said "all yours were purchased around 60k, they are currently valued at around 110-135, and the city assessed them at around 70-90k. so you are paying less than you should".

and yes, i am paying more than the NON homesteaded homes on those streets.

argghh!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.